If i buy a reloadable gift card online can i reload it even though i have sent the card to another person?

My dad is having financial issues and we was going to go on walmart.com and order a reloadable gift card and have it mailed to him. and try and put money on it every month. to try and help them out with groceries.

Walmart is their most used store, i have asked. we thought about a visa card but we can't find anything i can reload online.

anyone know anything about this and can help out any? I live 3 states away. and like the fact that he would get the money faster with a reloadable gift card then trying to mail him a money order.

oldfashionSAHM

Asked by oldfashionSAHM at 11:21 AM on Nov. 10, 2012 in Money & Work

• Wal-Mart does have this. I use one for my oldest in college. There is a fee but she gets the money no problem. ????
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 11:25 AM on Nov. 10, 2012

• I'd call Wal-Mart and ask, I know any time I use one they ask if I want to keep & reload it but I never do. I assumed it had to be swiped to be reloaded but maybe if you had all the numbers and did it over the phone...?
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 11:24 AM on Nov. 10, 2012

• I have not used one but if its set up so you have to create an account than you should be able to add money to it.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 11:26 AM on Nov. 10, 2012

• We were told during orientation at work that you can use those cards to have your paycheck loaded on, so I would think if they can do that, you can reload it yourself.....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:39 AM on Nov. 10, 2012

• I didn't try to reload online but yes I've done it. When my son was in college this was the easiest way to get his dorm fees and grocery money to him. I just went to the store. The one we had was sold with 2 cards. One for him and one for us to reload with.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:53 AM on Nov. 10, 2012

• Also..with the Visa cards there is a fee. WalMart cards there isn't. It worked best for us because that was the cheapest place for him to buy groceries and gas.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:55 AM on Nov. 10, 2012

• I think that there is a walmart card they marketed specifically for college students where the parents kept the one they could reload, and the student carried the other to spend. That would be ideal.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 12:29 PM on Nov. 10, 2012

• Yes, if you keep the card number you should be able to reload it online. Are you talking about like a prepaid Visa?
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 11:53 AM on Nov. 10, 2012