Advice on potty training?

anyone have advice on potty training?

teeg1

Asked by teeg1 at 3:21 PM on Nov. 10, 2012 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I waited until my kids turned 3. Then I stayed home for 3 days and put them in underwear. I took them every hour or so. By day 3 they were trained. Night takes longer. The key is the underwear. You can't do it in a pull up or diapers.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:23 PM on Nov. 10, 2012

• Boy or girl? How old? Showing signs?
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 3:23 PM on Nov. 10, 2012

• Be patient
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 3:38 PM on Nov. 10, 2012

• Start when you want to. I have started mine anywhere from 9 months (not intentionally, but she picked up on it, so hey, don't stop!) to 2 years.

Every single child has been different. Since I start mine so early, I just put them on the potty after a nap, after a meal, before and after bedtime. Sometimes I would do that for days or even months until they actually went in the toilet. Then I would praise them and remind them that is what they need to do in the potty. Once they 'got it' I just had to work with them to know when they needed to go.

Incentives: All of mine have been different. One didn't become consistent until he had to take off his wet clothes himself and change into dry (he hated doing it without help), one hated being naked so he got one pair of pants a day. If he wet them - no more. One LOVED treats everytime he went. One loved to change himself - so that didn't work. :)

#1: Be patient!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 3:38 PM on Nov. 10, 2012

• This is what I did with my second after an epic fail with my first. I suggest: Wait until they are really, really ready. Talk about it, ask them if they want to try ( if they do-great- if they don't -that's great too-) Make it be their idea and their project. The more you push the more they will push back. If they want to try cheer but if they don't just say 'okay maybe next time' letting them feel in control. Once you see a really willingness and they are illegitimately going potty on their own more than 50% of the time you can start encouraging them to be more consistent. Maybe even switch to panties/underwear at this point. I skipped the pull ups we went form diapers to underwear when she was about 75% then she was 100% with in the next 2-3 days.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:31 PM on Nov. 10, 2012

• If you want to hear my epic fail story I would be more than happy to share it. It is actually sort of humorous... you know.. now.... not so much at the time...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:32 PM on Nov. 10, 2012