Do you consider yourself an analytical or an intuitive thinker?

There's a study showing that those who are religious tend to be intuitive thinkers, while those who characterize themselves as atheist or freethinkers tend to be analytical thinkers.

Where do you fall on the thinker/religious spectrum? 

jsbenkert

Asked by jsbenkert at 7:29 PM on Nov. 10, 2012 in Religious Debate

• "So, Sharon, you consider yourself to be an exception to the rule, or do you think the study is completely flawed, or are you no longer religious?"

Studies show tendencies, not what 100% of the population is. Maybe religious people are MORE LIKELY to have a stronger tendency towards intuitive thinking, it doesn't mean all of them do and it definitely doesn't mean no religious person can have a stronger tendency towards analytical thought.
    Furthermore, what this study show is that analytical thought diminishes faith in some individuals. You also have to consider what religion the individual is. If it's not a religion that encourages faith, but analysis, then it's likely being analytical won't affect that person's beliefs.
    I wouldn't take one study and assume it applies to everyone, though. Humans are more complicated than that.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 10:15 PM on Nov. 10, 2012

• Very analytical. It is what drew me away from my Christian upbringing.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 10:58 PM on Nov. 10, 2012

• well I just did this little mini test and according to this I'm an analytical thinker and that's certainly how I've always thought of myself.  I would say it;s what led me to lose faith in Christianity but also what brought me to Islam.

-Cassandra-

Answer by -Cassandra- at 11:11 PM on Nov. 10, 2012

• I'm atheist and I am primarily analytical. I have a master's in finance so I almost can't help it LOL. BUT, if I get a bad vibe from someone or about a situation, I won't ignore it.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 11:30 PM on Nov. 10, 2012

• i am both. im INTJ (Myers Briggs personality types) which means i follow my own intuitions but im a thinker. i prefer abstract concepts, the bigger picture, yet i value objective facts over feelings. so it makes sense that i believe in God but not in an impossible, only faith based way.

if you've never taken the Myers Briggs test you really should...the results are usually right on and very interesting. you can find all sorts online, but a good MBIT will have 75 or so questions. its only a little bit more valid and reliable than an IQ test, but its a great resource for finding out more about yourself.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:30 AM on Nov. 11, 2012

• Analytical. Sometimes wish I would be more of an intuitive thinker.

I having trouble bringing up the actual study so I can't comment on that. I do disagree with the articles assumption that somehow intuitive thinking is inferior to analytical thinking. Both are important, it gives us balance. No scientific discovery was ever made without first using intuitive thinking skills. The world is changing and I think intuitive thinking (right brain) will start to become more valuable because computer programming is taking over analytical (left brain) jobs. You should develop both thinking skills, one isn't superior to the other.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:50 AM on Nov. 11, 2012

• Analytical.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 5:53 AM on Nov. 11, 2012

• Very intuitive. My Myers-Brigss type is INFP (Introverted, Intuitive, Feeling, Percieving)
    saphire_eyes802

Answer by saphire_eyes802 at 9:09 AM on Nov. 11, 2012

• Analytical.
    Nos4

Answer by Nos4 at 9:53 AM on Nov. 11, 2012

• I've always thought I tend to be quite over analytical.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:06 AM on Nov. 11, 2012