can i sue the makers of marina IUD ?

Hi, my name is Samantha Rodney and I'm 23 years old. I'm married and have two kids. I got the IUD marina on 8/10/2011 then I started to gain weight started having bad mood swings and than in the beginning of march 2012 I started hallucinating. I ignored it, but it kept getting worse. I started hearing a voice or my self in my head saying things. At the end of March it got so bad that I ended up in the hospital. My husband and I asked if it could be the IUD marina but everybody keep saying no. I said even if it's the hormone one and they still said no. At that time I was scared and since I have two kids they put me in a mental hospital . They said I was very depressed to the point I went in to psychosis. I was there for about 2 to 2 1/2 weeks not able to see my children. My husband and I both lost our job. He lost his job because there was no to watch the kids so he couldn't go to work. After I left I was put on an out patient

mamarodney02

Asked by mamarodney02 at 5:31 AM on Nov. 11, 2012 in General Parenting

• What happened after they took the IUD out?

Answer by louise2 at 5:48 AM on Nov. 11, 2012

• Talk to a medical malpractice attorney to see if you have a case.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:53 AM on Nov. 11, 2012

• I think you'd have a hard time winning if you don't have a single medical expert who says that the IUD could have caused your troubles.

How long after you had your second child did you have the IUD inserted?

Does anyone in you family suffer from schizophrenia?

Did you haveve a traumatic experience at the beginning of the year? Job loss, bereavement, serious illness, car accident, etc?
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 6:58 AM on Nov. 11, 2012

• Without a doctor to say it was the Mirena I think you would be hard pressed to win. Even with a doctor to say it was I still think you would be hard pressed to win. That being said you can ALWAYS sue, it is a matter of whether you will win or not that is not known. If you cannot find an attorney to take the case (due to poor chance of winning) you can ALWAYS do it yourself so you can ALWAYS sue if you want to.

Personally while I feel for you things like that are a risk you take when taking ANY medication.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:55 AM on Nov. 11, 2012

• Why couldn't you or your husband apply for FMLA to preserve your jobs while you worked through this?

Answer by missanc at 9:31 AM on Nov. 11, 2012

• What was the diagnosis of what the doctors gave you? Could it be possible that you have schizophrenia? My cousin was perfectly normally until she was about 22-23 and then she changed. Most people with schizophrenia don't show symptoms until late teens/early twenties.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:37 AM on Nov. 11, 2012

• My husband and I both worked for the same person, witch is family. I had my iud put in 3 months after my son was born. No nothing really traumatic has happen. I was told that I have depression and PTSD . The only reason I heard things and seen things is because I went in to physcsis .
    mamarodney02

Comment by mamarodney02 (original poster) at 10:51 AM on Nov. 11, 2012

• I found this site: http://www.pulaskilawfirm.com/mirena-iud-side-effects-lawsuits?keyword=mirenaiudsideeffects&utm_source=google&utm_medium=ppc&utm_account=pulaski&utm_campaign=imi-mirena-broad/phrase&utm_adgroup=mirenaiudsideeffects&utm_keyword=mirenaiudsideeffects&utm_matchtype=broad&utm_origin=adtype&gclid=CPTVjoutx7MCFcxAMgod0n4AQg. But it doesnt mention any complications like you described.
    Lobelia

Answer by Lobelia at 11:40 AM on Nov. 11, 2012

• When I searched for mental health complicatons I found a lot of women have reported problems just like yours.
    Lobelia

Answer by Lobelia at 11:42 AM on Nov. 11, 2012

• The maker of Mirena has published information about side effects, including depressed mood. http://www.mirena-us.com/safety/index.jsp

You can join a class action suit. It may or may not be helpful to you. Was the PTSD diagnosed before or after the Mirena incident? And did you serve in the military or have some kind of experience that could on its own induce PTSD? If one of those two situations pertains to you, then it's not so likely you can get anything from the makers of Mirena.

Also be aware that in joining a large class action suit, you might not get much at all. You can talk with a lawyer about a suit of your own, but that might end up being a very expensive proposition.

Not saying don't sue... just sayng to be realistic about what can come from it.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:33 PM on Nov. 11, 2012