Why am I still producing milk?

I stopped breastfeeding a little less then 4 months ago, I still have a very full feeling in both breasts, mainly the right. I am still producing, not just drops, but able to spray (maybe TMI). I don't understand why. I thought it is suppose to stop. A co worker said I need to go see the doctor for blood tests because I missed my last period, but the home test was negative and I don't understand how the two are connected??

Momma_Forever

Asked by Momma_Forever at 3:07 AM on Feb. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• It can take even longer then 6 mos to completely dry up. The milk is there to feed your child, and I guess your body knows that your child is still at an age where breast milk can be beneficial. It'll stop eventually, though it could be next week or next year.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:09 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I have never heard of them being connected. However, you can produce milk for months after stopping bf. It can take I think it is up to like 6months or so. I was forunate enough to be lucky and stop bf by 4 months, but the more they are stimulated the longer you will produce, so keep that in mind every time you check to see if you are still producing it is working agianst stopping. Sorry it is taking so long for ya.
    lovinmomto3

Answer by lovinmomto3 at 6:11 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I still have milk...16 months after weaning.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:41 AM on Feb. 11, 2009