MIL in delivery room?

My MIL expects to be in the delivery room when I have our baby.

How do I tell her no? She's not only insisting, but DEMANDING. As in, she told me to my face, "I'm GOING to be in there with you, Missy."

She's got 5 grandbabies already, and wasn't in the room for any of them, what is it about my baby that she wants in on so bad? I REALLY don't want her in there, but I want my own mom to be... is that fair to MIL? DH disapproves as well.

I don't even think it's because she really WANTS to be in there... I think it's more of a show she's putting on to prove to everyone she can still get her way.

WHAT DO I DO?!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:08 AM on Feb. 11, 2009 in Relationships

• Have your DH tell her. It's your choice and she should understand.
    KaceesMom

Answer by KaceesMom at 3:09 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• tell your dr that you do not want her in there and s/he wont let her in there. and tell her you can only have a certain amount of people and you decided it will be your SO and YOUR mother. or whoever else you want to have.

but telling your dr or the nurses they will make SURE that no one is in there you dont want to be.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 3:09 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• Oh hell no. Tell your doctor who you want in the delivery room. They will make sure no one else is allowed. They have to have a bracelet to get in anyway. You decide who has the bracelets.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 3:10 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• eew... tell DH to tell her. better yet, you tell her. it's up to you, you're the one exposed, going through the birth, and it's you and DH's special moment. you two are becoming a family, and if you want your mom there, MIL should understand.

if she's putting on a show, be nice, but honestly, i'd "show" back and not allow it...
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 3:11 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• Oh yeah and they usually only allow 2 people anyway. DH and your mom so theres no room for her.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 3:11 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I was going through the samething because my mom was not going to be able to make it. I had my SO talk to her and tell her, we wanted it to be a special time for us to bond with the baby but she would be the first one to come in when it was all said and done. He also explained to her that I did not feel comfortable with her in there and needed privacy. (HE WAS MORE WORRIED ABOUT WHAT MIGHT COME OUT OF MY MOUTH) LOL GOOD LUCK!!
    TashaMarie349

Answer by TashaMarie349 at 3:12 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• i never had to wear a bracelet... thats a good idea though.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 3:12 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• good idea ladies. i never thought of that
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:12 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I would like others have my husband talk to her about it. If that doesn't work then you need to make it clear she is not staying by telling the nurses and the doctor who is going to deliever you that you don't want her there. They will push anyone out that you don't want there. I had to do that.
    Borikaos

Answer by Borikaos at 3:49 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• When it comes to birth, there is no such thing as "fair".
    You have every right to choose whoever you want to be in the birthing room with you, and to exclude anyone you don't feel comfortable with.
    It is YOUR choice, and your choice ALONE. Sorry, but nope, not even DH gets a say in this one. It is YOU birthing this baby. You, YOU, and ONLY YOU!!!!!!!
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 5:16 AM on Feb. 11, 2009