Do things still get lost in the mail?

Or is it more likely the company mail room? I mailed some bills last month, 3 out of the 5 were local. I just found out that 1 of them was never cashed & they are claiming not to have received it. Thanks to the holiday, I can't get this resolved til Tues. I thought things getting lost in the mail didn't happen too much anymore. When's the last time you've had something lost in the mail?

mrsmom110

Asked by mrsmom110 at 2:04 PM on Nov. 11, 2012 in Money & Work

• Sure do. I work for the USPS, and while some of the above comments chap my ass, shit happens - when you empty the big blue box, if it's super windy and there's more mail in the box than fits properly, if you're not prepared shit will fly. Same when a carrier brings the mail to their vehicle, or stuffing mail boxes - the wind can whip stuff and you can't always catch it! Last year, a business man got a call from a minister one day - the minister had been out for a walk and saw something stuck in a bush, turned out to be an envelope with the business owner's name on it. It was a check to pay him for a piece he'd made - written 2 months prior! That envelope swirled around who knows where, got stuck who knows where, for 2 months. Labels fall off, rain ruins, things get stuck, wind blows away, machines ruin envelopes, there are so many legitimate reasons for mail getting lost, even in this day & age.
    Anonymous

• Sure absolutely! Being familiar with some of the process that goes along with the mail service, it's a wonder we get our mail to begin with. I've had a prescription show up at my house that had already been opened.... I've had my Paypal card disappear, but yet, activated...
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 2:08 PM on Nov. 11, 2012

• Yes, they keep raising rates but, still have problems delivering things correctly.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 2:13 PM on Nov. 11, 2012

• Yeah happens a lot.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 2:06 PM on Nov. 11, 2012

• Yes. We have community mailboxes, a few on each street. I often get my neighbors' mail. I just toss it back into the outgoing slot.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:10 PM on Nov. 11, 2012

• This is why I pay all my bills via the phone or net.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 2:18 PM on Nov. 11, 2012

• Our rent money order was lost in the mail about two years ago. It sucked because our landlord wouldn't wait for payment until it got resolved, so we had to pay twice that month and just suck wind until the MO place paid out.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:36 PM on Nov. 11, 2012

• I work in returns.....yes, things still get lost in the mail and things get damaged as well. Sorry to hear this has happened. If it were me, I would stop payment on the check, make a new payment over the phone and then on Tue contact the place to explain what happened. They may be able to credit you the amount that it cost you to stop payment on the check.
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 5:06 PM on Nov. 11, 2012

• LOL...I'm pretty sure when I wrote "sodomy" on the memo line of a utility check, they were lying when they said they "didn't get it" LOL. Long story short...I know for certain I had a double withdrawl from an automatic payment and they refused to credit my account for the over charge...so I was testy when I wrote out the payment.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 11:29 PM on Nov. 11, 2012

• Not mail that comes to our office, it just gets lost thru the multiple hands that it goes thru to eventually get to us.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 4:31 PM on Nov. 11, 2012