Should I be concerned?

My one year old (almost 13 months) isn't talking (no mama or dada) and she isn't walking (she pulls herself up to stand but only with support, that is recent). Gabby is my second daughter, but Ally was walking at 10 months and talking by 11 months. Is it also a normal thing for Gabby to be wanting to clean, well sorta, if she sees I am doing the laundry she crawls into the kitchen to hand me the dirty clothes (now I have two kids handing me clothes, LOL) and earlier Gabby and Ally were playing with the poker chips, she would dump the bucket and put the chips back in! Is that a normal 1 year old game?? I don't remember Ally putting things away.

Momma_Forever

Asked by Momma_Forever at 3:11 AM on Feb. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Sometimes the second seems "delayed", especially if the first developed quickly. Bear in mind that when you had your first, they were all of your attention. As much as you try now, you still need to divide your attention between two LOs now. Good luck!
    IZs_mommy

Answer by IZs_mommy at 11:47 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I think it is normal for her to be this way. I know that with my second child he did not talk until he was almost 2. He was a very observant child and had an older brother telling me what he needed.

I would look at it and see if her sister is talking for her. Also see how much you give her, even if she just points and makes some kind of noise. If you are finding that this happens a lot, then I would try saying things when you hand them to her. Like if you give her a banana say, here Gabby have a banana.

As far as walking don't worry. She can move faster crawling and wants to be able to keep up with everyone so it is just easier. You could try standing her up and seeing if she can steady herself.

Lastly, if you are very concerned then talk to her DR. If for not other reason then to easy your mind.

Good Luck and try not to worry.
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 3:28 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• She's fine. Keep track of the not walking and talking to tell your doctor, but at only 13 months there isn't a great amount of concern yet. Your first daughter did things early (I had two early "doers" and now have an "average" one! lol)

As for the "cleaning"...she sees others doing it...you,her sister...she's copying what she sees. It's not unusual.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:44 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• dumping a bucket and putting the stuff back in is a good exercise for her age, good job! As far as development, ask her dr to do a review with u. Does she flap her hands, does she prefer to stare at things moving, does she obsess over certan things like moving wheels and tv? Then I would question autism, but it sounds like she is just enjoying everyone else talking and doing stuff that she is just content to watch for now. Some kids just take their time then do everything at once. Set up a 30 min consult with the ped, you'll feel better when u do.
    lakegeorge_mom

Answer by lakegeorge_mom at 5:49 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• absolutely normal and nothing to worry about.

our DD said mama for the first time when she was 9-10 months old. but then it took her about 4 months to ever say it again.

she started walking when she was around 14 months old and she always loved to do laundry with mommy ;)
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 6:51 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• It is cool they make up their own games. Remember all kids do it differently.
    Some start early some start way late.
    Just be patient and keep encouraging.
    Cloutiermom

Answer by Cloutiermom at 9:50 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• she is perfectly normal my dd is 14 months only says dada and loves to help me clean I usually have a pile a hangers by the washer if they fall she will hand them to me if I'm sittling on the couch one by one I make it a counting game or color game(different colors) also has a big facination with buckling or closing everything.. like her highchair straps or stroller straps.. the dr says its normal so don't worry if it really really bothers u then see her ped but don't compare ur children to each other or anyone elses. my "mom"(adopted) did that to me and it is the worst feeling....
    BxMetroMom718

Answer by BxMetroMom718 at 9:54 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I heard an interesting pediatric news research.... girlfriend of mine in phoenix has a 13 month old who crawled at 10 months and doesn't pull himself up.

Dr. was concerned and then asked, "How many teeth does he have?"

Answer: 2 at 12 months.

Dr.: Oh. that explains it. Research is now showing a strong correlation with teeth development and general development around. If the teeth are delayed, most everything else will be too.

I'm sorry, I don't know anything more than that.
    lynnard

Answer by lynnard at 11:12 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• Oh, and my 15 month old only says Uh oh and Woof Woof Woof.
    lynnard