Are constant annoying phone calls reason to show contempt for child placement?

my step daughter mom constantly calls my phone or my husbands phone more then 3times a day and we only have her every other weekend fri-sun. when she does call n talks to her daughter she gets her all worked up and then she doesnt really want to do much. can we have her held in contempt cause its ruin our time with her. she is a very happy girl when she doesnt talk to her mom. my step daughter is almost 11 an if she wants to call her mom shes more that willing to do so but never does. we have concerns of this doing something mentaly to her thinking.

Edit: there isnt anything in their order about anything other then drop off time and pick up time, they had a mediation agreement which the mother ended up disagree with it 2 days before it became a court order. in that one there was only if the child wanted to call the other parent she was allowed too and we never not allow her to call n when shes here she never calls her mom so i see no point in the mom calling to spy more or less is what i think shes doing

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:32 PM on Nov. 11, 2012 in Tweens (9-12)

• Talk to a family lawyer for your best legal options.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 2:33 PM on Nov. 11, 2012

• The phone calls should be restricted to the parents. Unless she has some important information for the child I think this is inappropriate. I would contact the child support office- or wherever you need to.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 2:34 PM on Nov. 11, 2012

• You can't prove contempt unless she's in violation of the custody order. Is there anything in there about phone calls? You could just stop answering your phone, turn the ringer off. Next time you go to modify the order, have something written in about number/duration of phone calls. Regardless of whether you answer or not I would keep a log of how many times she calls from now until you go to court so you will be able to back up your need for the phone limit.
    You could also block her number from your phone, although your husband probably needs to leave his open for emergencies.

Answer by missanc at 2:37 PM on Nov. 11, 2012

• I imagine you could talk to a lawyer about it. See if it is ok do go to court about it. does it have it anywhere in the visitaion she can call all the time? Or is their a limit?
    if I were you, I would inform her when she calls she can only talk to her once a day, at bed time(example). Or tell her the SD will call her if she want to talk to her.

Answer by louise2 at 2:38 PM on Nov. 11, 2012

• It's only contempt if she's doing something that violates the court order. But I would think that you could talk with a lawyer about modifying the order to reflect what's happening and make it more reasonable. Keep track of all her phone calls to show why it's such a problem, but be careful about restricting the calls until you get an order in place. If you try to stop the calls by ignoring her, she can then try to claim she calls so much because you don't answer and she's worried. I wouldn't necessarily let her talk to your step daughter every time she calls, but make sure that at least once a day, she does talk to her so that there's no validity to a claim of "they won't let me talk to her!"
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 2:56 PM on Nov. 11, 2012

• I don't think so. Maybe she is just not comfortable with leaving her daughter. I always think that if a parent is calling and worrying, they are showing interest. It doesn't have to mean they are doing anything out of the ordinary. Heck, I used to call my kids when they went to their dads. After he complained, I bought them each their own cell and instructed them to hide it from him.... Maybe she should do that...
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 3:00 PM on Nov. 11, 2012

• making ur kids lie to the other parent is wrong in everyway possible that only screws up ur kids more and then how do u know wut their telling u is the truth when u tell them lying is ok is certian ways its not ever and i can understand being worried if ur child was under 5 cause ther so little but were talking about an 11year old come on ppl, i dont do that with my own child n shes 7 i know that if my daughter needs me she knows my number to call anytime day or night no matter wut time it is and for wutever reason
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:04 PM on Nov. 11, 2012

• I would simply have dad hold the phone while visiting. I would have sd call her mom at the end of the evening and say goodnight. This way Mom can check in but as far as the child is concerned it won't be intrusive. If Mom has an issue with it she has to take you back to court.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:45 PM on Nov. 18, 2012