4year still wears diapers at bedtime?

my son will be 4 in about 2 weeks and i still have to put him in a diaper at bed time cause hes pees so much at bedtime ive cut off drinks 2hours before bedtime, have him go right before bed and ive trie waking him up throughout the night. i do go to bed so i can sleep so i dont wake him up then but his diaper is still soaked when he gets up i need ideas

angelnina8715

Asked by angelnina8715 at 2:40 PM on Nov. 11, 2012 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My sympathies. I thought my boys would start Kindergarten in diapers. lol :p They were so hard to potty train. Some bodies/bladders just take time to mature. Don't worry, he'll get there. (Sorry not too helpful, more like you are not alone response)

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 2:43 PM on Nov. 11, 2012

• Try moving the cut off for beverages farther back than 2 hours? Maybe super hydrate him in the morning and taper off after then. Mrsmom is right- sometimes bladders don't mature fast enough- you are a good mom to wake up at night and try to get him to go- I wouldn't be able to do that!
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 2:47 PM on Nov. 11, 2012

• thanks, hes dry at nap time its just the bed time ive thought hes just a hard sleeper
    angelnina8715

Comment by angelnina8715 (original poster) at 2:51 PM on Nov. 11, 2012

• Bed/night wetting can be normal until the age of five or so. If it's still happening by six speak to his dr.

I would take him out of diapers and use plastic on his bed (you can use a shower curtain under his sheets to protect the mattress, of even get quilted sheets for the bed) and maybe put him in thick cloth trainers at night (they are thicker then normal underware, so they offer more protection) that way he may become uncomfortable when he wets the bed, and will start waking to go.

Another thing my mother did when my younger sister wet the bed was she would wake my sister up to go when she went to bed (later then my sister's bed time) she woke her up so that my sister would learn she had to wake up in the night to use the bathroom.Worked like a charm.
    wyldebtrfly

Answer by wyldebtrfly at 3:03 PM on Nov. 11, 2012

• There's nothing wrong with using diapers at night for a while - some kids bladders just don't grow as fast as the rest of their bodies! I had to put my son in pullups overnight off & on until after his 5th birthday - and honestly, if he starts wetting the bed again, he'll go back in them, and he knows it. One of my nephews was still wearing overnight pants at 12 years old - he just couldn't wake up to go sometimes, no matter what they tried. Don't worry about it!
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 3:13 PM on Nov. 11, 2012

• That's normal, all kids can vary in when they can learn nighttime dryness. My niece wet the bed till she was like 7! Now she was a heavy sleeper and her mom made sure she was given no fluids at night, now she is 9 and no longer wts the bed. Comfort him and tell him that every child wets the bed and there is a case of a few teens and adults who wet the bed now they could have a illness that causes it or has bladder control issues. One of my twins still wets the bed and she has been fully trained since she was 2, my other twin well she has Rett's Syndrome which is a server form of autism and she is still in diapers and will go to diapers in kindergarten. She can't control her bladder.

Good luck mommy! Hugs to you!
    LovingMommy0123

Answer by LovingMommy0123 at 3:36 PM on Nov. 11, 2012

• Oops, sorry, my iPhone is being dumb!
    LovingMommy0123

Answer by LovingMommy0123 at 3:41 PM on Nov. 11, 2012

• I wouldn't worry about it. Especially if he is doing well during the day time. My oldest was in a pull up at night until he was about 6 1/2 years old. I just didn't worry and let it happen when he was ready. We also didn't limit drinks at night. I honestly have not noticed a difference in my children. All of mine take drinks to bed. I always get REALLY dry at night and have a cup of water by my bed. The other four are all dry at night (ages 5 ,4 ,3, and 2).
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 3:48 PM on Nov. 11, 2012

• thanks ill keep those in mind
    angelnina8715

Comment by angelnina8715 (original poster) at 5:07 PM on Nov. 11, 2012

• Completely normal. My DS wet the bed nightly until he was almost 6 and occasionally until he was almost 7. His ped assured me it was not even something they considered to be an issue until after 10 and even then once medical issues were ruled out it they would just recommend alarms and 'training' methods...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:31 PM on Nov. 11, 2012