Can you successfully raise a child in a bubble anymore?

Kind of a s/o of that question below by the anon freaking out about a book someone else bought for their own children (in other words, someone else's choice that has nothing to do with her own kids). Even if you homeschool and set out to intentionally isolate your children from contact with anyone who doesn't agree with you on every issue, can kids really be sheltered anymore?

Even things like political discourse involve topics that used to be taboo to mention on TV. Commercials for everything from penile extension to pole dancing instructional dvd's run at all hours. Those things also appear on magazine ads, billboards, bus ads. Is it practical to raise a child like an ostrich instead of answering their questions as they come along anymore?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 8:59 PM on Nov. 11, 2012 in Parenting Debate

• Can it be done, I guess. As long as you never let them out of the house and didn't let them watch TV or movies or read any books, besides little kid ones. Should it be done, not if you want a kid to be able to function in society as they grow up.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 9:05 PM on Nov. 11, 2012

• I don't know how NP, unless you never leave the house, don't watch TV and have no internet access... Oh, and no social interaction outside the home... of course.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:05 PM on Nov. 11, 2012

• Which is why I included the word "successfully". Anti-social basket case who can't function outside the home isn't really the same as a parented child.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 9:06 PM on Nov. 11, 2012

• It can be done if you want to be a full time, 24/7, helicopter mom.

But we all know that's impossible unless your Amish.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 9:07 PM on Nov. 11, 2012

• I don't think I would want to. Eventually they have to make it in this big, bad world.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 9:09 PM on Nov. 11, 2012

• But have you seen those Amish chicks PMS? They are pretty damn tough... and they sound kinda rough around the edges....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:09 PM on Nov. 11, 2012

• But we all know that's impossible unless your Amish.

Amish kids know all about sex and drugs and the world - they usually get a job outside the home when they turn 13 or 14, and by the time Rumpsringa comes around, they're more wired than your average 16 year old, since they have 3 years of wages saved up to go nuts.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 9:09 PM on Nov. 11, 2012

• Well then, that takes care of that scenario.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 9:11 PM on Nov. 11, 2012

• I've watched the show... trust me. LOL! Just kidding.

They are wise to the ways of the world though. That's why they chose the way they do. Hmmmmmm........
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:13 PM on Nov. 11, 2012

• why would anyone want to? once they grow up, they would be totally unprepared for the real world.
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 9:14 PM on Nov. 11, 2012