Can you successfully raise a child in a bubble anymore?

Kind of a s/o of that question below by the anon freaking out about a book someone else bought for their own children (in other words, someone else's choice that has nothing to do with her own kids). Even if you homeschool and set out to intentionally isolate your children from contact with anyone who doesn't agree with you on every issue, can kids really be sheltered anymore?

Even things like political discourse involve topics that used to be taboo to mention on TV. Commercials for everything from penile extension to pole dancing instructional dvd's run at all hours. Those things also appear on magazine ads, billboards, bus ads. Is it practical to raise a child like an ostrich instead of answering their questions as they come along anymore?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 8:59 PM on Nov. 11, 2012 in Parenting Debate

• DH and I have seven and I do not think that you can, not without some consequences! But to each parent their own!
    Lovemyfamilyof8

Answer by Lovemyfamilyof8 at 11:59 AM on Jan. 4, 2013

• I think it's irresponsible to shelter to the point of a child unable to receive a book for a gift. I think sheltering until age appropriate for other things is acceptable.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 11:52 AM on Nov. 24, 2012

• I would not want to isolate my sons. I am preparing them for the real world.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 4:36 PM on Nov. 23, 2012

• the things that others face. But I can provide a wonderful safe life. So I do. I live with some sadness that most of my patients do not enjoy the same security. It isn't a bad thing it it is a parenting choice. He attends summer camp where many of those kids are from harsh circumstances. So as it is for his soccer team. He has friends over, sleep overs, babysitters, parties. He's not locked away but I would say I have no guilt for providing a Leave it to Beaver life so far. Road trips with his parents frequently, routine, friends, a community that loves him. I only wish I had his life growing up. If that is the definition of being in a bubble then I will take it.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 7:02 AM on Nov. 14, 2012

• My son lives a bubble life as of now. At six he does not really know about world hanger, holocausts, financial losses, serial killers. We screen his movies. He attends a very small private school where Stupid and Shut up are considered the BAD words. He really doesn't know stronger language. We do not have television and live a Junevand Ward kind of life. We don't discuss abortion, the death penalty, or politics in general with him. We simply do age appropriate things with him. I work with kids who have to worry about food, where they will sleep, and that Dad hits Mom. My husband is his soccer coach and yes all kids on his team and in the entire league get trophies. I want him to have his time with just being a kid. He does know more about birth and death than other kids his age. He has real issues and hardship of his own to face. But for now he is a little boy and he will be introduced to
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 6:54 AM on Nov. 14, 2012

• I think that you are asking two different things. Isolating a child from society is not the same as a child being sheltered. My daughter has been sheltered by our life style choices. She has attended private schools and she is naive to some extent due to being sheltered but by no means is she in a bubble. For example she was unaware until recently that pedophiles rape children sometimes babies. She is fifteen and in some ways refreshingly innocent but in no way stupid or isolated.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 1:44 PM on Nov. 13, 2012

• Could you ever, really? When the culture matched the "bubble agenda," it wasn't parenting in a bubble. And any time after that, the issue of children encountering non-bubble material always was there.
    And the goal of "protecting from" while young (so that they'll automatically reject it when they're older) works sometimes & backfires sometimes, same as always.
    Bubbles never were a guarantee.
    I do think it's possible to protect or shelter children and to have some pretty effective filters so that a lot that's "out there" (in terms of pop culture, consumerism, terminology, information) does NOT have much influence or presence. You can be pretty effectively selective without needing to control others or avoid certain info/situations if you focus less on isolation efforts & sanitizing reality, and more on being proactive & responsive.
    Our kids are pretty sheltered without bubble efforts. For us it's about responding not avoiding.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 11:26 AM on Nov. 12, 2012

• I suppose if you really were intentional, you could, but really, should you?
    theMOMmission

Answer by theMOMmission at 12:30 AM on Nov. 12, 2012

• Yeah, I just saw found the book you were talking about. She's a little nuts.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 11:25 PM on Nov. 11, 2012

• We homeschool because we do a better job academically than the local public schools. It has zero to do with isolating our children or trying to keep them away from the outside world.

I never said it did.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 11:14 PM on Nov. 11, 2012