Can you successfully raise a child in a bubble anymore?

Kind of a s/o of that question below by the anon freaking out about a book someone else bought for their own children (in other words, someone else's choice that has nothing to do with her own kids). Even if you homeschool and set out to intentionally isolate your children from contact with anyone who doesn't agree with you on every issue, can kids really be sheltered anymore?

Even things like political discourse involve topics that used to be taboo to mention on TV. Commercials for everything from penile extension to pole dancing instructional dvd's run at all hours. Those things also appear on magazine ads, billboards, bus ads. Is it practical to raise a child like an ostrich instead of answering their questions as they come along anymore?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 8:59 PM on Nov. 11, 2012 in Parenting Debate

• Can it be done, I guess. As long as you never let them out of the house and didn't let them watch TV or movies or read any books, besides little kid ones. Should it be done, not if you want a kid to be able to function in society as they grow up.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 9:05 PM on Nov. 11, 2012

• I don't know how NP, unless you never leave the house, don't watch TV and have no internet access... Oh, and no social interaction outside the home... of course.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:05 PM on Nov. 11, 2012

• It can be done if you want to be a full time, 24/7, helicopter mom.

But we all know that's impossible unless your Amish.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 9:07 PM on Nov. 11, 2012

• I don't think I would want to. Eventually they have to make it in this big, bad world.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 9:09 PM on Nov. 11, 2012

• But have you seen those Amish chicks PMS? They are pretty damn tough... and they sound kinda rough around the edges....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:09 PM on Nov. 11, 2012

• why would anyone want to? once they grow up, they would be totally unprepared for the real world.
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 9:14 PM on Nov. 11, 2012

• As has been said, if you isolate a child with no TV, Internet, radio, books, or outside social interaction, you might be able to raise him or her in a bubble. However, you better plan on keeping the child in the bubble like a fish in a tank for his or her entire life, since the world would be a very dangerous place for someone who knew nothing of its perils. And if you're going to keep the child like a fish in a bowl, then why not just get a guppy instead?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 9:51 PM on Nov. 11, 2012

• Well then, that takes care of that scenario.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 9:11 PM on Nov. 11, 2012

• I've watched the show... trust me. LOL! Just kidding.

They are wise to the ways of the world though. That's why they chose the way they do. Hmmmmmm........
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:13 PM on Nov. 11, 2012

• I guess it's possible, but it would just be to the detriment of the child. I have a relative that homeschooled her two kids. The first one was very accomplished musically. He plays piano, bass, and a few other things. They didn't have cable and he watched very little TV. Because there weren't many other homeschooled kids his age that they were friends with he had little social interaction with kids his age. I think the isolation took it's toll and he has had issues since becoming an adult. He is a very smart young man, but never had to compete for anything (which they don't really allow anymore anyway), so he had low self esteem and a lack of confidence that has cause problems for him. I think he is finally getting more comfortable with himself, but there have been some very difficult times he had to go through to get where he is now.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:15 PM on Nov. 11, 2012