How do you care for your preschool aged little girl "down there"?

So I have a four year old little girl, and when she was a baby and I changed her diapers I would always wipe her front to back, and only involve getting in the folds and crevices if she had pooped or something. Now that she is getting older... I feel awkward washing her private parts down there. I kind of just brush over the front with a wash cloth, then do her bum with a wash cloth while she in standing in the bathtub. But sometimes I know she gets a little redness on the outer lips. When that happens, I ask her if it hurts or is uncomfortable and if she says yes, then we just put some vaseline there after her bath and it usually goes away fast. But how can i prevent this from happening in the first place? I have told her to make sure she wipes until completely dry after peeing. And I have told her that it is ok to take her wash cloth herself and just wipe around on the "insides" while she is in the bath tub. (But she doesnt want to do this). And I dont feel comfortable doing it really either, and she doesnt want me to. So has anyone else experienced this? What is your normal bathing routine? I dont want her to have any irritation or get any infections. Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:59 PM on Nov. 11, 2012 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I use a soft loofa....she may be wiping too hard too & that why she is irritated.....my dd was doing that and if you are doing that most of the day I can see it being red....she needs to be more gentle & don't feel too weird about cleaning your dd : D
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 10:02 PM on Nov. 11, 2012

• I let her do the best job she could and help if needed. I never felt uncomfortable cleaning my kids.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 10:12 PM on Nov. 11, 2012

• what I have noticed with my DD who has the same problem is she doesn't wipe well. At her peds recommendation I got her the flush-able wipes for sensitive skin.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:23 PM on Nov. 11, 2012

• You're the mom. There's nothing wrong with cleaning your little girl. By acting uncomfortable about her body, you're teaching her to be uncomfortable about it. Besides that, if she ends up with a yeast infection, which mine did from being in and out of the swimming pool and not getting dried all the way, you'll be having to put lotion on your finger and smear it in the crevices. That will be more uncomfortable for you. Just relax and do what needs doing. Be matter of fact about it.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:24 PM on Nov. 11, 2012

• Pot about six inches of warm water in the tub and teach her how to wash her vagina. Just be matter of fact about it. Just say this is how you wash your vagina that way it will not get sore. Then tell her you can help her if she needs help. Explain about how she should wash every day. My daughter used the wipes for sensitive skin that someone else mentioned.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 10:37 PM on Nov. 11, 2012

• I agree with Iz^^^^^
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:42 PM on Nov. 11, 2012

• I would guess that it is a wiping issue, so I would start buying baby wipes and leave them in the bathroom.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 10:55 PM on Nov. 11, 2012

• Flushable wet wipes and air dry after baths
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 11:07 PM on Nov. 11, 2012

• As a mother I've never felt weird cleaning my son anywhere either but since you are, you have to realize its not something either of you want, however you don't want your child to have a rash or irritation or infection either -she will do it herself once she realizes she doesn't like you to do it
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:40 PM on Nov. 13, 2012

• I give my daughter the shower head and let her just rinse there.

Maybe the irritation is from the rough wash cloth or soap (soap can be a big irritant to genitals!!).

Try using a baby wash cloth (very soft) and not using soap directly on her genitals or in the bath water.

We also air dry before putting clothes on (a heater or blow dryer may also be used) and have flushable wet wipes available, but that is mostly for BMs.
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 1:21 AM on Nov. 20, 2012