A TRULY interesting map :)

As apposed to the other ones that are just insulting to large groups of people......

This site actually has some very interesting maps that show a more fair and accurate representation of this country. After Obama won re election many democrat friends of mine (yes, I have many) called for compromise now. After Obama won the last election he said "I won, get over it".  To me this doesn't show a willingness to compromise, and from I have seen the word seem to mean "MY way and ONLY my way" to most in office. Do you think compromise is possible as obviously out country is very evenly divided??

http://www.princeton.edu/~rvdb/JAVA/election2012/

momof030404

Asked by momof030404 at 1:57 PM on Nov. 12, 2012 in Politics & Current Events

• I'm bipartisan, but I think the use of purple color tones on this map is miss leading. It gives the impression that all other colors except "democrat blue" is really republican. Changing the hues of this map would probably give a different feeling of what the information is trying to represent.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 2:09 PM on Nov. 12, 2012

• *misleading
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 2:10 PM on Nov. 12, 2012

• yeah, I am not buying it.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 2:15 PM on Nov. 12, 2012

• The Utah one I do have to say I complete agree. Obama was like 30 something percent of votes here in Utah and 70% of Romney
    Mormons stick together obviously
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 2:20 PM on Nov. 12, 2012

• "The maps above are misleading in the sense that sparsely populated areas are shown no differently from densely populated areas. Manhattan has 1.6 million people but is only represented by the smallest dot in these maps. Montana, on the other hand, has less than a million people but gets a huge chunk of the map---as big as Montana. Mark Newman is well-known for his cartograms---maps that are distorted in proportion to population. Here's Mark's map for the 2012 election: http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mejn/election/2012/."

momof030404

Comment by momof030404 (original poster) at 2:24 PM on Nov. 12, 2012

• What the map is saying to me is...lets work together. Forget R or D lets get this great country back on track. We're tired of the crap that the politicians keep dishing out with their my way or no way.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 2:25 PM on Nov. 12, 2012

• I get what you are trying to say, but I look at the map and I dont agree. The area where I live is shown as purple, and it voted so strongly democrat, and dont know if there is a republican voter in this county!!! LOL Seriously, this area is extremely liberal and democrat.. it could not possibly be represented as "purple"... I am only borderline in support of Obama because there are many things I do not like about him, and I can barely say a word without getting shouted down around here....
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 2:27 PM on Nov. 12, 2012

• I am not sure exactly what y'all aren't buying. The numbers? As in you think he made them up? The computer program that laid out the colors? Or just that our country is this evenly divided ACROSS the board? s for the coloring I see purple to mean VERY even as it takes blue AND red to make purple.
    momof030404

Comment by momof030404 (original poster) at 2:37 PM on Nov. 12, 2012

• I don't understand any of the political posts! lol
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 2:41 PM on Nov. 12, 2012

• he area where I live is shown as purple, and it voted so strongly democrat, and dont know if there is a republican voter in this county!!!

That's not a county map. Just because your county went one way or the other, doesn't mean every single resident voted one way. To think so is deluding yourself. It takes only 1/255 of any voting district to vote opposite the majority to effect a color shift. The more color shift there is away from true red or true blue, the more individuals out of every 255 individuals did not vote with the majority. It's the most realistic representation of the population, not one where whoever whines the loudest controls a territory.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:23 PM on Nov. 12, 2012