Is it safe to leave a space heater on all night?

We're moving and it gets much colder at night where we're going. I don't want to have to heat the whole house at night so was thinking of just getting small space heaters for the bedrooms. Is it safe to leave them on? I know not to leave them near bedding, curtains, etc.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:15 PM on Nov. 12, 2012 in Home & Garden

• If they are ceramic (stays cool to the touch on the outside) and has a safety switch so if they get knocked over they automatically switch off, then yes they are fairly safe. Any heater or electrical appliance can short out, or spark, so there's no guarantee. But heating the house might be cheaper. Space heaters draw an amazing amount of energy... they aren't cheap. Ive lived where it was routinely in the negatives all day and night, (in the winter!!) and space heaters were not a good idea.
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 4:18 PM on Nov. 12, 2012

• Yes some are safe. I think the fire department has information on the safest ones to buy. Also try Consumers Digest they test all these products and have recommendations
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 4:29 PM on Nov. 12, 2012

• I'd keep it low, not near anything, make sure it's a decent quality one and make sure the plug/cord and outlet are in good shape.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 4:29 PM on Nov. 12, 2012

• There are space heaters you can buy that will shut themselves off if they tip over. That's a good feature to look for if you are buying a space heater that you plan to leave on all night.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 5:10 PM on Nov. 12, 2012

• Are there going to be people in the rooms with the heaters? I run an electric heater in my daughters room at night- baseboard heat is useless
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 6:15 PM on Nov. 12, 2012

• If safety feature and at low heat. Age of heater may be factor.
    Sarah961

Answer by Sarah961 at 9:35 PM on Nov. 12, 2012

• we have eden pure heaters that are made to be left on all the time. They have a thermostat so they work just like a whole house heater.
    LisaD719

Answer by LisaD719 at 3:20 PM on Nov. 13, 2012

• Space heaters tend to be tremendously expensive in terms of electricity consumed. Check first to see if it won't be costing you more than simply lowering the house heating at night...
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 9:29 AM on Nov. 16, 2012