How would you react?

So I'm 5 months along and yes, I have been very moody. I blame the hormones, but also blame it on my in-laws who won't stay out of our business!! My MIL gives us name suggestions all the time and my FIL actually asked me why I'm not planning on breast feeding - Ew! So last night, I find out that my MIL called my Mother and not only told her they'd be having their own shower (that my family isn't invited to) but then went on to say that I need to relax and calm down and how it's strange I won't take her advice on names! I want to flip out to my DH but I feel like I've been complaining a lot lately about his family, but to call my own Mother and say this stuff? I'm p*ssed. Has anyone else dealt with this???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:46 AM on Feb. 11, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Wow is that ever rude to have a baby shower and not invite your family. I would tell her not to even bother if your own family can't be there. Also, it's your decision to breastfeed and no one should be telling you otherwise. I would also tell her thanks for the name suggestions but we are still deciding or we have one picked out already. Your hubby is wrong for saying you are complaining and not speaking up. If he doesn't speak up you may have to. This is your baby and I don't care who it is they shouldn't be telling you what to do or how to do it.

Makes me mad and has nothing to do with me. I hope things work out for you.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 7:51 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• Yea my mil called my mom once to "tell on me" LOL. My mom laughed and didnt tell me for a couple months because she knew I would be pissed. During our wedding planning my mil and me had it out. She was seeming to take over the plans and I finally told her I had enough and that it was my wedding and to butt the hell out. After that dh talked to her too and she hasnt been as big a problem since. You are going to need to calm down some and tell her you appreciate her help however this is your child with her son and you both will decide the names not her. And that she needs to stop calling your mom because youre a grown woman and dont need someone calling your mommy on you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:52 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• Your motherinlaw sounds like my mother. Get caller id or ring recognition and tell them and your husband that your doctor told you your bloodpressure is high and you need to rest to keep it down, even if outside of your home you have a job. Take care of yourself your baby. I bet if you have two showers after all you the honored guest will actually be calmer not getting anxious about what your mil will gossip about to your family. Take care of yourself mommy, inlaws you don't need. Don't answer their calls don't let them in your house tell them doctor told you to rest whenever you can - rest is bed, sofa, home with hubby with people who appreciate you being a grown up. Love to you Mama!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:57 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• "Hello, MIL? Did you really think my own mother wouldn't tell me what you've said to her when it pertains to me? If you wish to throw a shower for MY baby, then do so. I'll try to make it."

And I'd write a list of all the names she gives you....and make sure you DON'T use any of them or anything similar to them! (if she says Kathryn, don't use Katie) When she brings up about names...tell her you've already chosen one. Make up something really OUT there like Galaxy Quasar or something!! rofl (and act serious, too! all the way up to the birth!)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:57 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• yeps feel lucky at least they are wanting your child mines where all ass holes when they found out i was pregnant and made nasty comments about how i just needed to kill it and all damn morons they just get under my skin but you have to let it go or it will drive you nuts as for the baby shower thing they tried that one two on me and i told my so to let his dad know that last i checked he wasn't my mother nor a girl so think again not going to happen he didn't want her so he can get lost on that part sometimes you just need to speak up too them what she did was wrong to your mom and beyond rude i wouldn't go too her shower at all
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:44 AM on Feb. 11, 2009