ACID REFLUX

my baby has acid reflux.they want to put her on zantac.i want to know how much it actually helps and how long they are usually on it?

kb24

Asked by kb24 at 8:19 AM on Feb. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I know someone who had her breast fed baby on it. I've lost touch with her, but I know the baby was almost a year old and they were cutting back on the dosage.....

The baby thrived on it, though!!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:37 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• We used Zantac for awhile and it worked well, and then we had to move onto Prevacid. We are now only using Zantac if it starts to bother her, otherwise we are using nothing now that we are on food.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:40 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• My son was on zantac fir acid reflux when he was a baby and it helped alot. Eventually he grew out of it, that was 5 yrs ago. Now my newborn(2mths) has acid reflux and was prescibed zantac and we changed his formula from Enfamil Enfacare(for premature infants) to Enfamil Prosobee. So far so good.
    kyheavensmom

Answer by kyheavensmom at 8:45 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• Hi! My son is 5 mo. old. He had it something awful! He is on Zantac and reglan and we had to change his formula to alimentum. I can see a drastic change. The zantac was the first thing we did so i would say that it helped but he still had some problems until we put him on the the reglan too. I hate giving him meds but he was scaring me with the almost choking bouts so I would say if the dr. thinks your baby needs it atleast try it. you can always take her off. I think his dr. said we would try at a year to get him off the med. and 6 mo to try to get him back on regular formula.
    wmkmommy

Answer by wmkmommy at 9:13 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• My son was on Axid, which is the same type of medication. It worked wonders. He stopped needing it at around 9-10 mos. I give him a dose occasionally if he seems to have heartburn. He was EBF, and still is BF at 18 mos. If you BF, don't let the doctor tell you to switch to formula because of reflux.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:53 AM on Feb. 11, 2009