My 3 1/2 year old never stops talking and it's driving me crazy.

How do we get a little peace through the day without making him feel like we don't want to listen to him?

r2momma

Asked by r2momma at 8:50 AM on Feb. 11, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• You don't. You can't shut up a 3.5 year old. Mine just likes to hear her own voice. Just get a really cool toy that he can play with in another room and only in that room and take it out for 30 minutes twice a day. That will help a bit. The other thing is to put them on the computer on a game like Jumpstart preschool or toddler. That is about the only time mine shuts up.
    yakara77

Answer by yakara77 at 8:53 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• i don't know but when you figure it out please tell me because my dd is 3 1/2 and she never shuts up. i love her to death but dear god
    emtmommyamanda

Answer by emtmommyamanda at 8:54 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• You eventually learn to tune them out, I know this sounds horrible, but I have one that hasn't stopped talking since she learned and is now 11!!! You'll get usto it...LOL

INDIANAMOM

Answer by INDIANAMOM at 8:54 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I don't have this problem yet, but I have some friend who started implementing quiet time. That is where they have to play quietly for a specified amount of time. I would use a kitchen timer and when it goes off then he talk while he plays. Give it a try and see it if works. It has worked well for my friends and they have 3 kids and they are still using it even with the oldest being 9.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:55 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I agree you can't. They just love to talk about anything and talk to themselves. I agree with just trying to keep your LO busy.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 8:55 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• LMAO! We all can't wait for their first words. Then when they hit about 4 we can't wait for them to shut up. My daughter talked so much at that age she even talked in her sleep. If you asked her if she ever stopped talking she would say "Nope, I even talk in my sleep" LOL
    Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 8:58 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• LOL - I know my son talks a lot, but I don't think I notice it so much because I talk a lot. But he's lately started learning how to internalize his chatter and has started either whispering or, like last night, actually told me that I couldn't hear what he was thinking because it was too quiet! Kids learn first external speaking, then they learn to internalize it - this is normal process and all we can do is encourage quiet time, thinking time, or even whispering if you need some silence.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 9:55 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• Our daughter was taught that we need "quiet time". It worked really well and I think it helped her become a little independant cause she would learn to entertain herself quietly. She's 13 now and I still tell her I need quiet time sometimes....LOL
    Anonymous

• My 6yo stepson NEVER stops talking. He also expects some sort of response to everything he says, or he'll just repeat it over and over again...I find myself getting so annoyed! It's terrible I know but it's the honest truth. In the car I turn the radio up (I know it sounds mean but I just tell him I'd like to listen to some music now..) and at home if I'm feeling at my wits end I just tell him that I need to concentrate on whatever I am doing so I need some quiet. I tell him if he wants to talk he can go in his playroom, and sure enough he'll go in there and talk to himself!! :)
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 1:02 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I am deaf, so mine just chats away I just nod my head a few times....
    TheFriskyKitty

Answer by TheFriskyKitty at 1:07 PM on Feb. 11, 2009