Breastmilk, low supply

so i put this question in my breastfeeding group but almost always my questions go unanswered there so im putting it here. Cant hurt right? ok so I have a six month old little girl. I know my breastmilk is very low because i pump and only get drips. I pump every hour after i put her to the breast. Let me just give you a short version of what i have been through. I cant believe after all this im still trying but I am so some encouragment would be greatly appreciated! I had my DD in may. three weeks later after excessive bleeding and doctors telling me this was no big deal and serveral er visists they figured out i still had placenta left over in there. I know what the word is but I cant remember it. Retained products of conception? Anyways thats not the point lol. so they did a d&c and sent me home AFTER i passed out right in front of the nurse. Went back the next day and they hospitalized me for loss of blood. Still was able to keep my DD in the hospital with me so that i could nurse her. They then sent me home and i was back three weeks after that for infection in my pelvis due to the doc knicking my uterus during the D&C. my milk was doing great until.... I almost died in the hospital. Several surgeries Chemo shots to get rid of all placenta cells and lots of other stuff. I had to pump and dump the hole time. I was in ICU so my DD could not come to nurse. my supply was actually pretty good considering. Got home finally after 10 days had to still pump and dump because of chemo and other antibiotics. Still doing fine and bam i get the IUD and its basically gone. I dont have insurance yet to get it out but will have it next week that wasnt a pitty party i just wanted everyone to understand what i have gone through I also wanted to tell you what i have done to try to boost it and see what else i can do. So along with pumping all the time and nursing all the time i am taking blessed thistle, Fenugreek, Mothers milk tea, I was trying reglan but it didnt make a difference so my lactation consultant told me to stop. but i can start it again. lots and lots of water And lots and lots of oatmeal. I have made lactation cookies too. Yep theres my life story. p.s. sorry for the bad spelling and typos i broke my wrist P.s. Thanks so much for taking the time to read this. please dont be mean

teeg1

Asked by teeg1 at 2:29 AM on Nov. 13, 2012 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Wow, Mom, you've been through hell with your shoes off. I applaud you for still trying so hard to nurse. I had low supply, too, for unknown reasons. I tried everything. I drank that nasty pond scum tea till I nearly had it coming out my ears. Here's what I learned.

Reglan is the drug from hell. Don't touch it again. It has been linked to terrible side effects. I had debilitating fatigue so bad I could hardly move. Others I know had muscle twitches that fortunately weren't permanent, but they could have been.

Check out More Milk Plus at www.motherlove.com. The blend contains goat's rue and some other herbs. It worked better than any other supplement or remedy, and believe me, I tried them all.

Finally, do your best, and know it's enough. You're giving your daughter what you can, and if you have to supplement with formula, it's okay. Millions of babies thrive on formula; you haven't fallen short in any way.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:56 AM on Nov. 13, 2012

• @Ballad, wow thank you you really know how to make someone feel good! Ill check that stuff out tomorrow! Thank you very much!! I appreciate it!
    teeg1

Comment by teeg1 (original poster) at 3:03 AM on Nov. 13, 2012

• What you are getting from pumping is no indication of what your daughter gets when she nurses from you. I could never get more than an ounce pumping but I successfully breastfeed all 5 of mine. If your daughter is having 6-8 wet diapers/day then she's getting enough. Is she content and gaining weight?

Answer by missanc at 3:07 AM on Nov. 13, 2012

• I know that pump output isn't right. But I do feed her formula after because she is starving I can tell. Tomorrow I don't though and I will count diapers thank you!
    teeg1

Comment by teeg1 (original poster) at 3:11 AM on Nov. 13, 2012

• I had some supply issues with my 4th and used an SNS (supplemental nursing system) that gave my son some much needed calories without possibly damaging breast feeding (at only a week old he started holding out for a bottle instead of nursing - it's less work for them). Good luck with nursing!

Answer by missanc at 3:43 AM on Nov. 13, 2012

• I just barely got the sns today :)
    teeg1

Comment by teeg1 (original poster) at 3:58 AM on Nov. 13, 2012

• Skin to skin is supposed to help a lot!! Do you co-sleep? Or get a wrap and take your shirt off - carry her naked up against you. (Skin to skin helped me with my 5th child a lot!).

Sounds like with everything else you are doing, you are probably doing this: but nurse as much as possible. Offer when she is fussy or bored - even if she just wants to nurse for comfort and not actually eat.

You are incredible! I'm so amazed with your hard work to keep nursing her. :)
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 7:26 AM on Nov. 13, 2012

• Micheledo, wow thank you!! I didn't expect such kind words!
    teeg1

Comment by teeg1 (original poster) at 9:39 AM on Nov. 13, 2012