I don't know what to do?!

My son is 14 months old. He has a constant diaper rash, he cries all the time, and is waking several times a night. He has been sleeping through the night since he was 7-8 months old. He is usually a happy baby. He is not on antibiotics right now. He was diagnosed with some ear infections not long ago. The doctor said that his ear is still red. We don't know for sure if he is allergic to milk or not but we don't feed him those foods anyway. What could be wrong?

proudmama1207

Asked by proudmama1207 at 8:57 AM on Feb. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Soak him in a tub of water and baking soda a couple of times a day (at least once though) No soap, just play in the baking soda water.

Don't use wipes, use a wash cloth with water only.

If you think it's a yeast rash, use Lotrimin AF three times a day. At all other diaper changes, put on a barrier cream.

You say he isn't on antibiotics "right now" but was he for the ear infection? Until it's out of his system, he may still have loose bowels. Bulk him up with starches and carbohydrates. Use only foods you KNOW he's okay with since there may be a question about a food sensitivity.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:07 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I would take him in and have the rash looked at. It could be yeast or something else and you need to make sure that you are treating it properly. Good Luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:58 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I agree ^^^ maybe they should also do an allergy test if that is your concern. If it's a yeast infection they can give a script for it but it's a lot so ask if they have free samples.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 9:00 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I said something to the doc when we were there Monday and she didn't seem concerned about it. I am treating it over the counter. It was almost gone but now it is slowly coming back. He has had loose stools 4 times in the last 24 hours.
    proudmama1207

Answer by proudmama1207 at 9:00 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• do u use pampers calming wipes with lavender my dd is allergic to them...I use only hypoallergenic wipes and balmex daily skin protectant it is great she had a bad bad bad rash and the balmex worked but only the one WITHOUT zinc oxide
    BxMetroMom718

Answer by BxMetroMom718 at 9:47 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• It sounds like an allergy to me. If your pharmacy carries it get some Triple Paste it is wonderful for any type of diaper rash. My kids would sometimes get ones so bad they would bleed and TP cleared it up everytime. The baking soda baths work too. Also, if you can let him run around with a bare bum some and get some fresh air, especially after baths.
    ma2calebzoeyeli

Answer by ma2calebzoeyeli at 9:54 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• we had a rash that didn't go away for a week. Turned out to be a yeast infection, more commonly known as "jock itch!" Lotrimin cured it.

We just didn't know what it was. Hubby never had it so didn't know either.

We did baking soda baths and let him run around naked when it was safe. Let it get air on it. Moist air is helping feed the rash.
    lynnard

Answer by lynnard at 11:09 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• Your baby could be allergic to that brand of diapers. Try changing to something else, and use Triple Paste cream, that works awesome!
    ryansmommy313

Answer by ryansmommy313 at 11:36 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I would suggest the baths, barrier cream and to ensure that you are using nothing with scent around the rash. Not scented baby wash, no scented cloths. I also agree about using only a wet wash cloth, but make sure it is soft and not one that is used on a daily basis because they get hard and scratchy. Use a seperate cloth each diaper change. The baby wash clothes worked the best for my LO. If the rash doesn't go away by Friday, I would call the DR and have them looking to the possibility of yeast. Since your LO was recently on meds, it could be a yeast reaction. Good luck!
    IZs_mommy

Answer by IZs_mommy at 11:45 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I agree that the antibiotics could've caused an imbalance in the good and bad bacteria. All the above suggestions are great, I'd also add that you can get some powdered children's probiotics and add those to his diet to build things back up. This is what really helped my LO with his thrush in his mouth and on his bottom when he had to take antibiotics for it. I found that his thrush also contributed to his more frequent dirty diapers and to his reflux. Reflux could be why he waking, try inclining his mattress slightly or it could be teething that's making him wakeful and giving him loose stoole. The powder I get is flavorless and can be dissolved in water or juice. It's called Primadophilus Children from Nature's Way, for teeth I recommend Hyland's homeopathic Teething Tablets. Hang in there momma! Hope things get better quickly :]
    bltcahill

Answer by bltcahill at 9:40 PM on Feb. 11, 2009