Strange Hives on my little girl....

She had a few bumbs on het tummy, no big deal. The next day, they were very large and connecting. Take her to the doctor . We go through everything she eats, laundry detergent etc. nothing new. All the same things. They dont itch at all, but look very painful.Started with benedryl, then because her hands were a little swollen, put her on a mild prednisone(?).....Has anyones child ever had this? Or heard of this before. He said it could be the start of a virus, but she had a viral rash before when she was young....It looked nothing like this....

DD927

Asked by DD927 at 8:58 AM on Feb. 11, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Was she on antibiotics? My neice recently broke out in hives as a reaction to antibiotics she was on.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:24 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• Different viruses carry diff't rashes so it still could be viral. However if it is not improving at all I would take her back in.
    ma2calebzoeyeli

Answer by ma2calebzoeyeli at 9:42 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I would go to an allergist or even a dermatologist.
    Anonymous

• My ds went through something similar. The doctor told me that it could either be a virus or an allergy. My dh and I figured out what it was. My ds was allergic to the peanut butter that my dh was putting in his breakfast smoothies, which my ds was drinking. Benedryl helped but put cortisone with 1% hydrocortisone on the rash to help with the itching and swelling. It eventually went a way. We are going to have ds tested for allergies.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 3:28 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• This sound like something that happened to me~My doctor put me on clariton & it didn't work at all. I found out later that it was my nerves. I would get these little bumps & then they would spread by connecting & becoming larger. I would itch so badly but if I scratch them, they would only become irritaded & swell up more. The only thing that would help is when I would rush home & get in a tub of cool water. This would calm them & finally go down. I still don't know why my nerves would cause this but I'm so glad that it's gone.
    onespecialmom

Answer by onespecialmom at 6:39 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I haven tgiven peanut butter in over 4 days and actually the hives dont itch. I do have to give her prednisone for 5 days. If its not better by tomorrow, the Dr told me to bring her in...I think the allergist is next on the list....Ill keep you updated. Thanks for all the advice girls..I truly appreciate it.

DD927

Answer by DD927 at 9:15 AM on Feb. 12, 2009