When is a good time to start potty training?

My twin boys are 18 months old. The youngest seems to be about a month or 2 behind his brother developmentally but I would like to at least try starting them around the same time. They haven't started talking a lot yet and I'm not sure where to start.

daisydrops526

Asked by daisydrops526 at 7:33 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I started my son at 18mths.He still not fully potty trained though he will go pee pee just not poo poo.
    Anonymous

• Are they interested in the toilet? Do they want to watch you or your husband use the toilet? My best advice is not to push them if they're not ready. If they seem interested, buy a training potty and put it somewhere they have easy access. Show them the potty. Get them comfortable on the potty. Let them play with the potty. Pretend to flush the potty like the toilet. Say bye-bye to the pee pee or poop. Get some toilet paper and show them how to wipe on their potty. Let them show you they're interested in it. Don't force their interest. If you know their diaper is dirty, take it off and have them sit on the potty and pretend like they're going potty. Our son is 26 months and he just pee pee'd in the potty for the first time last week. We've had the potty for almost a year. We played on it and around it. I'm really letting him tell me he's interested in the potty. Good luck!
    radiantfire

Answer by radiantfire at 7:40 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• At that age, I'd let them watch you and Daddy go potty, but not push them getting into it. Of course, if they want to try it, great! I'd wait until at least age 2 or 2.5...
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 7:45 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I waited until my daughter was ready herself and had a real interest in it..And it pretty much happened over night for us..It only took a week to get her fully potty trained for daytime and nighttime..She was 3 by the time she was ready, everyone thinks thats to late but i believe in letting her be ready before i push her to do something just because everyone else is doing it...
    SarahLynn21

Answer by SarahLynn21 at 9:10 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Any age is fine really. My husband's mom potty trianed him at age of 1.
    Allene29

Answer by Allene29 at 12:33 PM on Jul. 11, 2008