3 yr old son wont poop... adult content

My son is 3 yrs old, he is potty trained, and has been for a while. We havent had any issues until recently. He with-holds is poop until he absolutely cannot hold it anymore, and then its a painful experience for him. He is very picky and has some sensory issues so his diet isnt as varied as it should be (which would really help, I know) but until we get to the doctor I can only do so much in that department...

Any tips on how to get him to go, we have just sat, bribed, sat until he is crying trying to get him to go... I just dont understand why suddenly (the past 2 weeks or so) this has been such a big issue.

shesliketx

Asked by shesliketx at 12:37 PM on Nov. 13, 2012 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Low dose of mirilax in his drinks would help keep things soft. Avoid binding foods (bananas, cheese and other dairy). Having a painful experience can start a downward spiral into encopresis. I would recommend some research on the subject and if you feel it's necessary then either find or ask for a referral to a pediatric gastroenterologist.

*one note, many people will recommend you up the amount of fiber, however keep in mind that you must also up the amount of liquids you give him because additional fiber with less fluids can make the problem worse.  

Good luck!

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:41 PM on Nov. 13, 2012

• When my DD was that age she did the same thing. She stopped going because it hurt at one point. After several Dr apt and x-rays, she was way backed up.. Enema every night for a week then mineral oil daily to get things moving and soft.. Her ped was fantastic.. Make an apt and go from there.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 1:20 PM on Nov. 13, 2012

• My ped said to give half a cap full of myralax every day until she was going everyother day without fighting. I don't like the laxitive route so I took her to a nutritionist and chiropractor. They put her on a vitamin and I readjusted her I have to go back in two weeks to see if she is any better, but so far nothing. It has been 4 days and no movement. Usually she can hold it up to 12 days. If this doesn't work I am going to start added mineral oil to her food. It is more natural then a laxative and I am more comfortable with them.
    lovemybaby283

Answer by lovemybaby283 at 2:59 PM on Nov. 13, 2012

• Thanks so much y'all!
    shesliketx

Comment by shesliketx (original poster) at 3:21 PM on Nov. 13, 2012