Advise driving snow & ice dangers and how to handle them

Okay so I am leaving for Wyoming driving tomorrow.. I will be driving through Nevada, AZ, Utah, then Wyoming. I know that I will hit snow storms on the way.. I have never drove in snow & ice before.. So I need advise from those who have.. Like if I hit black Ice what do you do.. etc.. any and all possibilities.. What kind of things should I have with me incase of emergency. Like I am going to buy flares, bring blankets, food, matches.. a shovel, flashlight.. I have snow chains for my truck.. What else should I bring for a just in case situation? And really what do you do if you lose control?.. As you can tell I am a little nervous about the trip and being prepared for what ever might happen. I am a good driver.. and have made cross country trips a few times.. just never through snow and snow storms..

hopeful2b

Asked by hopeful2b at 9:20 AM on Feb. 11, 2009 in Travel

• INDIANAMOM

Answer by INDIANAMOM at 9:27 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• DO NOT slam on your breaks, keep your wheel straight and do not accelerate if you hit black ice. But slow down and drive a speed that YOU are comfortable with. We don't get a bunch of snow where I live we've had a couple storms this year... but nothing like where your going. I know my chemistry teacher used to live out there and he said to have a candle with you and if you go off the road crack the window and light the candle. Make sure you always have plenty of gas.
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 9:25 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• The main thing is slow down!! Test the road once in a while. When there is no traffic around, slow down so that you can't lose control of the car and hit the brakes. If you slide, keep driving really slow. If its just snow and its packed down fairly well, you shouldn't have any real problems as long as you slow down a bit. But if its ice, there's not much you can do but drive super slow. If you are driving while its snowing, make sure your lights are on. If visibility gets hard, well, first, if you aren't comfortable, then pull over! But second, if you keep driving, turn on your flashers so the other cars can see you. And if you skid, turn into it, which is hard and goes against our natural reactions. And also if you skid, try not to slam on the brakes, just take your foot off the gas to slow down until you have control. Just stay calm, plan on it taking longer than without snow and drive slow!
    chillemi78

Answer by chillemi78 at 9:28 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• as ash said do not slam on your brakes and turn into the slide and take your foot off the gas. dont panic. be careful and good luck
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 9:32 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• Drive slow in the snow and ice. If it is snowing, put your lights on. Even in the day time. Give your self plenty of room ,if a car is in front of you. You don't want to be so close to them ,and they slam on there breaks, and you do to and you go sliding into them. Bring blankets , water and food with you . Just in case you get stranded in the snow.

Answer by louise2 at 9:32 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• my husband is a truck driver, I hate driving on that stuff, he says to put your front tire on that yellow line if you can it will give you a little traction.
    1carlasue

Answer by 1carlasue at 12:55 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• dont hit the brakes, steer in the direction of the skid... but i will tell you this.. once you leave northern AZ Utah and Wyoming are great at keeping the main roads clear.. i know in Utah they have heaters in the road.. it keeps the pavement warm enough to keep the ice for sticking.. you will see funny cut outs like dashes in the pavement and they are hot coils.. in your Emergency kit.. take an extra battery for your phone.. a candle, you['d be surpsied how warm that can keep you. flares, snacks, blankets, if you are traveling with kids, buy a bottle warmer for the car, it will keep formula from freezing.. also here is the best advice i can give you. http://www.accuweather.com/www/accutraffic/index.html it will give you camera shots so you can see if the roads are clear.. i use this when guiding friends over the passes in eastern oregon and montana... also, pre program 511 on your phone, its a travel advisory.
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 11:27 AM on Feb. 21, 2009

• I've driven the drive you are taking... leaving Flagstaff and hit Cody, Wyoming.. took me 1 day... stopped just to take a nap at the rest area... good luck and have a nice drive, its really beautiful
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 11:28 AM on Feb. 21, 2009