How do I find a homebirth midwife

I don't know anyone around me who has had a homebirth so word of mouth is out of the question. So how do I find one that is good?

HadassasMommy

Asked by HadassasMommy at 9:24 AM on Feb. 11, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Around me the people who always know are in the more 'crunchy' groups since ours aren't openly talked about for legal reasons. I found mine through our local ICAN. SOmetimes the LLL members will know a few names for you.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 9:27 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• a web search of your area. Any midwife directory. ICAN-Online.org... if they work out of a birth center, the phone book. :)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 10:06 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I found this site. hope it helps http://www.houbirth.org/. Sorry I had a doula lady that i had met right before i was about to have Lorilie and I lost her info. I think she would have had a lot of info for you. I will try and find her info okay.
    Monka

Answer by Monka at 10:08 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• mothering.com has "tribe" boards you can check. You can also find an attachment parenting group through the API international website. I found my mw recommendation there.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 10:14 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• The website for the magazine Midwifery Today is great !! Check it out ! And best wishes to you - homebirth is SO great a way to do it, especially with all the crazy technological interferences which hospitals now call routine.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 3:33 PM on Feb. 12, 2009