"Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what YOU can do for your country"

My fellow citizens of the world, what happened to these fine words spoken by John F. Kennedy?

Not too long ago, 1961, he spoke:
"And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you - ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man"

Have we lost these feelings and views? Do we really need to rely on government for handouts, bailouts, checks, food stamps, welfare, housing assistance, etc? What happened to the message that JFK was trying to send us?

Sitting around waiting for government handouts is what WILL break us. We need to empower ourselves to MAKE things better and everything will follow. This country runs on PEOPLE, not government. So do something, instead of ask and beg and whine!

thundernlight

Asked by thundernlight at 9:44 AM on Feb. 11, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Amen!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:45 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I have no idea what to do for my country except, pray for our soilders and leaders and everybody else and try to take care of my own. That said I do not mind paying tazes for those who need food stamps, WIC and maybe SHORT TERM welfare. When my father was growing up he said there were a LOT of babies laid to rest because people could not feed them. These are good programs when not abused. That is all I know to say about that.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 9:49 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I don't ask,beg or whine ..............Maybe when people will take personal responsibility and leave the need for greed things will change........Until then some people need nannies
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:50 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• Im in college and come from a long line of college educated and/or military family. I dont like JKFmuch based on the history I have heard about him but I do agree people need to learn how to do for themselves rather then sitting around acting helpless. There are many many opportunities waiting there for someone to reach for them. You just have to believe in yourself and try.

Answer by gemgem at 9:51 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• AMEN OP!! AMEN!!
    blessed5x

Answer by blessed5x at 9:51 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I absolutely agree!!
    Cookie_baker

Answer by Cookie_baker at 9:51 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• You must be talking about the big companies.Because us regular people are not getting a had out. Our government has not handed me a million dollars yet.  I WISH!!!

Answer by louise2 at 9:51 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• So true!! I am so sad that our children and grandchildren are going to have to clean up after the mess our country has made and is continuing to make.
    KathMW

Answer by KathMW at 9:51 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• Need for greed? So you think that people who have succeeded and made something of themselves should just give that success away to others who dont do anything to better themselves? I dont think so. I will decide who I "share my pie" with. I dont need the govt forcing me to.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:52 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• Well said!! The more the government gives us the more control we give them. Big government scares me I don't want someone making decisions for my family as far as health care and other personal matters go. Lets take care of our own and stop the insane spending of our govenrment.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 9:59 AM on Feb. 11, 2009