Are we in the minority?

I was talking to a friend tonight about parenting and the differences between now and just a couple decades ago. It boggles our minds that people don't expect as much out of their kids today but then freak out when said kid can't handle the real world. When handing out trophy's to every kid, not expecting them to do chores because that is too much for them and not even being able to discipline your own child became commonplace, then the world started going to hell.

For a while each generation taught the next generation to be stronger and smarter and just all around better. Parents WANTED their kids to outshine them. Now it seems like people want to wrap their kids in bubblewrap and keep them children forever. They don't let them get a sense of what the real world is like because they don't want them hurt. I get not wanting to see your child cry, but if they don't learn that disappointments are real and that they won't get everything handed to them, how do they become responsible adults?

kmath

Asked by kmath at 9:45 PM on Nov. 13, 2012 in Parenting Debate

• My kids can entertain themselves pretty well with or without electronics. I think it all depends on the parent. I make my five year old do chores and I have my two year old help me with laundry and dishes so she learns to help around the house as well. It's all in how you parent and what you're willing to listen to when it comes to society.
    uwmilf

Answer by uwmilf at 12:51 AM on Nov. 14, 2012

• I completely agree! That's why I loved "The Blessing of a Skinned Knee".

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 1:01 PM on Nov. 15, 2012

• I think that many parents don't realize it's their job to raise a child to an adult, at some point you will need the out of your house! Instead of bubble-wrapping them they need to be taught skills. If your kid can't take care of their physical needs (food, laundry, cleaning, driving, getting to school without you waking them up) by the time they're 16 you're not doing your job as a parent. I moved out of my mother's house at 17- I had a kid, a car, and a full-time job. I never moved back. I work with a married 30 year old still living in his parent's basement with his wife.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 8:49 AM on Nov. 17, 2012

• I'm still pissed about the 12 years of piano lessons though. I'm just sayin

LMAO! I love you Prawny, just sayin
    kmath

Comment by kmath (original poster) at 10:17 PM on Nov. 13, 2012

• I think every generation asks that very same question. Given that attitude, it's a miracle we are still here.
    No, I don't think anything is going to hell in a handbasket or this generation of kids is any worse than the one before. Different priorities and realities, but they will be prepared for the world that is handed to them
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 10:22 PM on Nov. 13, 2012

• I'm fairly certain that generations before us thought the same thing.
    MeandMyBabes

Answer by MeandMyBabes at 3:04 PM on Nov. 30, 2012

• It drives me crazy see a kid in a shopping cart with an ipod or phone. Why isn't that parent talking and interacting with their child? Why is that child probably always in front of some electric device...
    When my kids where young, they'd take turns going to town with me. They took pride in being able to walk through the store and help me pick out the apples or cereal.
    My kids twins are only 12 and things have changed even in this short amount of time...
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 8:52 PM on Dec. 5, 2012