How old is old enough to stay home alone?

Between my husband and i we have 6kids ranging from 1-11, at what age is ok to stay home alone and for how long

angelnina8715

Asked by angelnina8715 at 10:27 PM on Nov. 13, 2012 in General Parenting

• First you need to check your state laws about what age they can legally stay home alone. Then you need to determine if your child is mature enough to do it. I think it depends on the kid. I wouldn't have an 11 yo stay home alone to watch a bunch of other kids, but if he was mature enough he could stay home himself. Start with small amounts of time and then work up.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 10:29 PM on Nov. 13, 2012

• All of them or the oldest?
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 10:29 PM on Nov. 13, 2012

• First you need to check your state laws about what age they can legally stay home alone

This ^^. Not every law has an enforced age, but the ones that do take it seriously. Especially if you're planning on leaving the oldest in charge of the rest.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:31 PM on Nov. 13, 2012

• im more talking about our oldest and we wouldnt have her watch the others thats too much for 1 kid to handle but she is very mature for her age im just worried about it
    angelnina8715

Comment by angelnina8715 (original poster) at 10:32 PM on Nov. 13, 2012

• I think 12 was the legal age in my state. You need to check your laws. I would say no, not yet for your family.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 10:34 PM on Nov. 13, 2012

• thanks everyone ill look into it
    angelnina8715

Comment by angelnina8715 (original poster) at 10:40 PM on Nov. 13, 2012

• I was a latch key kid at age 5.
    LadybugTash

Answer by LadybugTash at 10:57 PM on Nov. 13, 2012

• the 11 yr old for a short amount of time- *maybe* an hour
    and not watching any others
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:00 PM on Nov. 13, 2012

• This is subjective as each child is different. If you are asking if the 11 year old may stay at home, if you think he or she is reliable try it for a very quick trip to the store. If you are asking if the 11 year old can stay home alone with the 5 siblings, I would say no.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:42 PM on Nov. 13, 2012

• The 11 y/o could stay alone for a short amount of time (up to one hour I think) depends if the kid is a serious one or not. Under 11 y/o I would leave them alone. ANd in no case would I leave the 11 y/o watch after the other kids alone !
    ajc03

Answer by ajc03 at 10:11 AM on Nov. 14, 2012