Any surprises or about how you'd expect it to come out?

Too long to copy it over here, but an interesting collection of views. The Dallas Morning News asked various faith leaders from assorted denoms (primarily Christian and Jewish, but a few non-Abrahamic as well) what they thought the election results meant in terms of faith. A few of the answers are predictable, some seem alternately more militant or more laid back than might be suggested by the faith associated with it.  

Any that surprise you, for good or bad?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 11:26 PM on Nov. 13, 2012 in Religious Debate

• Still reading, but love this from the Episcopalian writer, speaking to upset conservatives:

"Give me a break. Being disagreed with doesn’t make you a victim. Being disagreed with by lots of your brother and sister Americans may give you a shocking dose of reality therapy, but it doesn’t disempower you or silence you or keep you from getting a job or medical insurance or getting married to the person you love."

Full disclosure: I'm being received into the Episcopal church next month.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:04 AM on Nov. 14, 2012

• I like this too, from a Baptist pastor (this is an abridged quote):

"Religious leaders in the political fray are easily thrown off their core message by political fights, which in turn lead people to turn away from religion... In light of this election, religious leaders of both sides would be wise to access “the better angels” of their core values and find ways to build consensus, community, and a more inclusive democracy, seeking peace and unity rather than power and domination. Surely religion should be a force that draws us together rather than dividing us further. At the very least religious leaders should learn the lesson that in American politics abuse of power leads to loss of power."

Answer by gdiamante at 1:11 AM on Nov. 14, 2012

• And one more gem, from the President of the FOundation for Pluralism:

"My religious beliefs are for me to practice and not impose on others. Each one of us has to live by our own moral compass.

This vision was expressed by President Lincoln in his Gettysburg Address: “This nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom — and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.” Did Lincoln ever mean government of clergy for the people?"

Answer by gdiamante at 1:12 AM on Nov. 14, 2012

• Much overlooked, between Obama, marriage, and pot, however, were these quiet but extraordinary tipping points – Mazie Hirono is the first Buddhist in the Senate and Tulsi Gabbard is the first Hindu in Congress. I personally rejoice in these milestones as an affirmation of American exceptionalism and yet another stepping stone toward becoming the truly tolerant and diverse nation we have longed claimed to be. Very cool. ~GEOFFREY DENNIS, Rabbi

I agree!
    Sonata8

Answer by Sonata8 at 4:48 PM on Nov. 14, 2012

• I wasn't surprised by any of the responses. I enjoyed reading that, thank you for posting it.

Sonata8

Answer by Sonata8 at 4:51 PM on Nov. 14, 2012

• It just shows that people believe that God wants what they want.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 5:20 PM on Nov. 15, 2012