Countdown to the Apocalypse

Anyone watching this on History channel? There's something creepy about them matter of factly spelling out, well the religious stuff is a bunch of superstition, but this, this, and this celestial phenomenon that could potentially wipe out the electrical grid for several years are past due, and could happen any day now.

I think I was happier only considering it in literal Apocalyptic terms (in other words, yeah right). I don't want real science mixed in with it, that's just wrong!

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 2:40 AM on Nov. 14, 2012 in Entertainment

• i have not been watching it, but i have thought about it happening and it scares the daylights out of me.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 5:20 AM on Nov. 14, 2012

• so much for Entertainment, eh?
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 8:24 AM on Nov. 14, 2012

• I haven't been watching it, but I heard about the electrical grid thing. Scary.

Sonata8

Answer by Sonata8 at 8:29 AM on Nov. 14, 2012

• been telling people for years, if its on a computer you better have a paper back up too
    also keep some money out of the bank in your possesion always and make sure you can make your own food!
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 8:43 AM on Nov. 14, 2012

• I think that's partly why my DH wants to start his own farm. His family has all this land that they lease to a local farmer instead of using it themselves, and he wants to use to grow our own food and raise cattle, chickens, and pigs. I guess if it comes down to it we will have land to at least survive for awhile.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 9:40 AM on Nov. 14, 2012

• It sounds interesting, I didn't watch it though. I told my dh wouldn't it be funny if gas/electric companies all shut down for an hour to freak people out lol
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 10:01 AM on Nov. 14, 2012

• No I figure that since they only came up with 12 months that they just stopped there.. It's all a bunch of babble
    mommys2cupcakes

Answer by mommys2cupcakes at 10:24 AM on Nov. 14, 2012

• i agree. the scientific apocalypses are far more frightening to me than ancient fairytale myths because they can be calculated atleast.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:32 AM on Nov. 14, 2012

• Now I am going to have to find a way to watch this. Science is some scary shit!
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 11:19 AM on Nov. 14, 2012

• Since the Mayan calendar is based on cycles (read our article on How Does the Mayan Calendar Work to learn more), December 21, 2012 merely indicates the end of a cycle that began on August 11, 3114 BC. While there are wild interpretations as to what this date means, and many holiday resorts are booked out on this day, there is no evidence from any Mayan literature suggesting that the world will come to an end. It is simply the end of the current Long Count, and December 22, 2012 will be the beginning of the next Long Count, or cycle in the Mayan calendar. In fact, the Mayans have names for the Long Counts, and the fact that they've named Long Counts beyond this one suggests that this won't be the last. It is significant, however, that we are entering a new cycle in the Mayan calendar.
    uwmilf

Answer by uwmilf at 11:20 AM on Nov. 14, 2012