Music and Religion

Does religion play a roll in what type of music is listened to in your home?
I am curious...and also when entertaining friends and family at your home, do you play the music of your choice or none or their choice?
What are your limits of different types of music...? the reason I am asking is that our gs is doing a Valentine box for friday's v-day party in class and they are asking for the children to be orginal and or cutise, pretty, etc...
He is doing a Rock-n-Roll tribute box with several older groups such as KISS, The Rockets, ZZ Top and Poison... he is 8 and I personally don't see anything wrong with it, but would you based on your beliefs or lack of per-say not use music unless it was within your veiws...?

gmasboy

Asked by gmasboy at 10:10 AM on Feb. 11, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't judge anything as a whole. That includes music types and groups. I personally am a huge Poison fan!! I see nothing wrong with that music for an 8 year old. I think that the SONGS should each be judged separately. If the song is using language or talking about things that are not appropriate then it shouldn't be played... But just because a group has a bad song doesn't mean they are a bad group...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:20 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• For YEARS I listened to music that was not Christian. I especially liked hip hop, dance music etc. When I had children my views changed. I actually started listening to the words (lol) and realized that much of what I listened to was not the kind of message I wanted my kids to hear. I started listening to Christian music and at first..I'll be honest...I had to force myself to listen. After several months of listening I grew to love it and now it is the ONLY thing I listen to and I love it more than I've ever loved any kind of music. It brought me closer to God and has helped convict me on the way I live. I love to praise God through music!
    My husband on the other hand has a harder time with the conversion of music, so my son has had some exposure to it. My mother who is our church music director, took my son to the store and was looking at the Christian music when my son asked "Do they have 'Party Like A Rock Star' here?"
    deedee3849

Answer by deedee3849 at 10:32 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• CONT**
    Now....we don't let our kids listen to anything that doesn't morally jive with what we believe. That was kind of a wake up call to both of us!
    Personally, I feel so much more inspired when listening to Christian music. I never listen to anything that brings me down......only music that lifts me up!
    deedee3849

Answer by deedee3849 at 10:35 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I don't see anything wrong with that.. if you want to keep it religious though.. you can do Poisons "Something to believe it" most bands have one religious song. Personally, I love poison.
    I would just keep it age appropriate. There are a few songs by all those you listed that I wouldn't put in there.. like "talk dirty to me". lol. But there are some good ones as well.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:00 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• No it doesnt. Never has.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 11:04 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• not really. I do LOVE indian bajans though (hindu music) and listen to them at times. But i also listen to the grateful dead. So i guess no not really. I love all music, except i don't really care for christian rock, it's about the cheesiest stuff on earth in my opinion.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:18 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• While I may be Christian I cannot say YES to this question because I also happen to be a dance teacher both paid and as a volunteer of the Boys and Girls Club. The music today, the kids are not permitted to dance or use any form of music the lyrics is exploited in any way or sexual, or has swearing in it. Good news is some of the artists are at least doing a "clean" version of a lot of the trash songs they put out, this really helps, but in all truths, I really feel that music has is lost and lost as part as being a true art, now its just music.... That is rather sad.
    TheFriskyKitty

Answer by TheFriskyKitty at 11:55 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• My son listens to Christian screamo bands. While I don't care for it, I have listened to the words,and they are Chrisitan,and Christ-centered. However, if he were to go to listening to something Satanic, or with that kind of message,he'd be forbidden to. He doesn't care for that kind of stuff anyway,but I'm just using an example. Even at 15, we still very carefully monitor what kind of music he is listening to,but for the most part, he's really good about what he does.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 12:51 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• Oh,and he LOVES oldies! He really enjoys the Beatles, his dad's favorite band. And, surprisingly, one of the first songs he put on his playlist was "Maggie May" by Rod Stewart (yes, he and I both know what the song is about,doesn't matter, he doesn't care about that, he just loves the melody of it). And, he's the one who shows me all the new Christian groups and singers.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 12:53 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• We listen to array of different music... from big band (1 of my favs) to some country to of course older Rock... our gs (we are raising) gets a wide variety of music, but we do not not bc of religion, listen to some types of music... the lyrics are (as a parent) not appropriate at all for children (the newer music that has come out including a lot of the rap ) 
     We do though encourage our gs not to sing some of his more fav tunes in school, tho some of the teachers may know them... I really don't think other parents wouldn't appreciate their child coming home singing "Rock you like a Hurricane' ...lol...

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 1:07 PM on Feb. 11, 2009