Why is birth control suddenly against Christianity?

Today an acquaintance on Facebook posted an article she call "concerning" it is about how a Christian company "Hobby Lobby" (I had no idea they were Christian) is going to be "forced" to comply with Obama's HHS mandate, which they are saying is going to "force them to provide their employees with pills that induce abortion"

My question isn't about that exactly but is this, why for all the years I have been a Christian before Obama (which is a lot) did the only Christians I knew of who were against birth control and planB were Catholics and a small amount of Baptists and all the Christians I knew who talked about such things were all for BC and complained at how much it costs but now that Obama is involved in something that will make it cost less for them, they are all against it and calling it, abortion-inducing and anti-Christian?

My mother in law is an example, she encouraged me to be on BC, saying how she was on it for YEARS before she got her tubes tied. Now all of a sudden it's abortion inducing and anti-Christian. smh. Has anyone else noticed this.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:31 PM on Nov. 14, 2012 in Religious Debate

• Further proof that Christians don't know the first fucking thing about science.
    FreeForAll

Answer by FreeForAll at 4:34 PM on Nov. 14, 2012

• It's not so much an issue of "Christians" being against BC as it is Businesses that are Christian based are being required to the same regulations as every other BUSINESS there is and cannot use their religious status to cut corners in cases such as providing healthcare for their employees thus costing the business more money. Birthcontrol is merely the rallying point or tool that they decided to utilize to try to bypass compliance with law.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 4:37 PM on Nov. 14, 2012

• 1) the 'abortion pill' does not cause and abortion. It just prevents implantation so if an egg were fertilized it would not attach BUT if it had implanted the pill would do nothing.
    2) as much as I am against abortion I do not think any store should be making decisions about how their employees use the insurance.
    3)birth control has always been a touchy subject with certain denominations.
    4) not all forms of birth control are created equally. Some are actually okay while others are not in some denominations
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:38 PM on Nov. 14, 2012

• Traditionally, Christianity as a whole has never been against birth control. Catholicism was always against it, and a few other variations of a handful of Protestant denoms had rules on it, but generally speaking, Christianity didn't care. Same with Judaism, which also has no issue with bc. It's only politically active conservatives who use religion as their excuse to push an agenda who care about bc in context of faith. Even most Catholics think the church is wrong about bc, and most Catholic women USE it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:42 PM on Nov. 14, 2012

• I've noticed this as well. Honestly it seems like a lot are becoming even more militantly "Christian". I guess it's in response to the Gay Marriage movement, Plan B becoming more readily available and, of course, Obama becoming president. It could be socio-economic as well, many people seem to cling more tightly to religion in times of economic crisis. For some, it makes them calmer, nicer people. But, others become militant.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 4:44 PM on Nov. 14, 2012

• its hard to lump everyone into a big group.. plenty of people say they are christian but doesnt mean they practice.. same goes for catholics.. I am Catholic and i attend church but still doesnt mean i practice everything they preach.. im much more liberal then my church agrees with.. Ive used birth control, and ive used plan B, and im not against others using BC, i could go on and on with the amount of things i dont particularly agree with when it comes to churches.. but i do believe church and governments need to be seperate. I dont like the idea of my government telling women what they can and cannot do with their bodies, or who people can and cannot marry.. if your personal belief is that abortion is wrong, then dont get an abortion. I just dont like people puhing values onto other people..

kp0469

Answer by kp0469 at 4:45 PM on Nov. 14, 2012

• I didn't know it was a Christian organization either, but it is not surprising given how much religious-themed items they sell and that they are closed on Sundays.

They do not want to be forced to carry insurance that covers emergency contraception for their employees. There was a lawsuit filed in September, causing some uproar.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/21/hobby-lobby-obamacare-lawsuit-morning-after-pill_n_1903472.html

anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 4:46 PM on Nov. 14, 2012

• also i have to add.. to "the 'abortion pill' does not cause and abortion.". that all depends on your idea of when a baby is made. many believe the second the egg and sperm meet and the egg is fertilized it is a life. whether or not it has implanted yet or not..

again, i personally dont think the plan B is the same as a full blown abortion... and i too am against abortions but just cant imagine a life in which the government would tell me what im allowed to do.. i dont like not having control..

lol idk if im making sense.. haha
    kp0469

Answer by kp0469 at 4:51 PM on Nov. 14, 2012

• Plan B is not the abortion pill. Plan B will prevent a fertilized egg from implantation only if implantation hasn't already happened. If implantation has happened, the Plan B does nothing and the woman remains pregnant. It is a high dose of birth control.

The RU486 abortion pill causes an implanted fetus to be aborted.

The two medications are nothing alike.
    Anonymous

• And don't think anyone proclaiming something to be 'anti-Christian' to imply all Christians. There's over 40k denominations out there, so no group speaks for everybody.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 4:55 PM on Nov. 14, 2012