Why is birth control suddenly against Christianity?

Today an acquaintance on Facebook posted an article she call "concerning" it is about how a Christian company "Hobby Lobby" (I had no idea they were Christian) is going to be "forced" to comply with Obama's HHS mandate, which they are saying is going to "force them to provide their employees with pills that induce abortion"

My question isn't about that exactly but is this, why for all the years I have been a Christian before Obama (which is a lot) did the only Christians I knew of who were against birth control and planB were Catholics and a small amount of Baptists and all the Christians I knew who talked about such things were all for BC and complained at how much it costs but now that Obama is involved in something that will make it cost less for them, they are all against it and calling it, abortion-inducing and anti-Christian?

My mother in law is an example, she encouraged me to be on BC, saying how she was on it for YEARS before she got her tubes tied. Now all of a sudden it's abortion inducing and anti-Christian. smh. Has anyone else noticed this.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:31 PM on Nov. 14, 2012 in Religious Debate

• maybe its b/c i live in OK & the fact that HL has signs that say "closed on Sunday so workers can worship with their families" & that they play nothing but Christian hymns over the loud speakers... but how could someone not know HL is a Christian organization? whats more shocking to me is that HL acts so unChristianily to their employees by trying to keep them from working full time hours so they dont have to give them benefits. im sure Jesus is really proud.

i think half of the "BC is evil" idea is based in personal beliefs by the most conservative Christians (who just happen to be extremely loud) & the other half is b/c Obama wants to include it in health care. some ppl are dumb enough to be for/against something just b/c their political rival is for/against something. its not all Christians...its the "i believe the govt should stay out of my life unless they are supporting enacting laws per my religion" type Christians.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:10 PM on Nov. 15, 2012

• Just another reason to seek out other businesses that supply arts and crafts - going local has never been more attractive.
    jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 4:45 PM on Nov. 15, 2012

• I do not think this is a Christian issue vs. a science issue. Many women who are Christians take bc pills or have other forms of bc. I find the backlash for companies less about belief and more about boohoo they have to pay a few more bucks for women's care.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:43 PM on Nov. 15, 2012

• I think the reason we hear more about religious objections is because previously birth control was not a mandated part of employer provided health care-now that it will be we are hearing from those that object. These companies did not pay for it previously and it was no news because it was not mandated, now that it is- companies are being more vocal. Some companies probably have a real religious objection, some are just trying to get out of it and some are using it as a way to show their dislike of the new program.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 8:16 AM on Nov. 16, 2012

• My take is this and it may anger a few. In some eyes, plan b is an abortion pill. It keeps a fertilized egg from being implanted. Here's the key word. "fertilized". Many believe that life begins at conception. That being said, a fertilized egg is life. The government should not force anyone to pay for something that is totally against the beliefs of a person. I am all for bc. I'm not for abortion. I can understand this. My big thing is that I don't want to be forced into paying for something period. Taxes are bad enough. I buy my own insurance and I pick what it pays for when I buy it. The Obama plan gives no choices in plans. Medicare has so many plans it's ridiculous but this plan has none.
    Hobby Lobby is one of many Christian based companies. They have the right to say what goes on in their company just as any non-Christian company.
    blondie805

Answer by blondie805 at 8:34 AM on Nov. 16, 2012

• Again science and the more precice definition of terms and ideas. To some people there is a difference between placing a barrier between yourself and sperm and killing the entity that is formed after the sperm invades the egg and begins the new life.
    Years ago BC was more touted in the light of preventing pregenancy and most thought it meant as in a barrier. As more information has come to light more people have had to change the way they look at things. Some have decided that killing the embryo as early as the sperm meets eggs is taking a life. It is their right to believe that as it is yours not to. Science tells us that at conception a new life is begun. Since it can only be human that point is moot. Termination of pregnancy as against the Catholic religion is nothing new.
    Catholics have been practicing varrious forms of prevention , probably from the beginning. But just as you do not do things the way it way
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:20 PM on Nov. 16, 2012

• it was done in the first century because you know more now, through the experience of those before you and because of science, so the
    subject of life in the womb has made many advances scientifically and through experience.
    Hobby Lobby was always a Christian owned company. Clue, they are not open on Sunday.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:23 PM on Nov. 16, 2012

• I don't know. I'm Catholic and we have always been this way.
    JTROX

Answer by JTROX at 8:49 AM on Nov. 17, 2012

• Not all Christians disagree with contraception. Those who do cite the fact that hormonal contraception and the IUD can cause an abortion. This is not a matter of opinion. Read the insert that comes with a package of birth control pills (yes, get out the magnifying glass) and read the part that says it makes the uterine lining inhospitable to a fertilized ovum.

The problem with the HHS mandate is that is does not respect the religious freedom of employers who object to paying for abortions or drugs that cause abortions - and this from a President who went to the Middle East and pontificated about how we in the U.S. believe it is important to respect the religious beliefs of others!
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 9:14 PM on Nov. 17, 2012

• @Kristi - on the contrary - society is forcing its views on us (those who are opposed to abortion, etc). For me it is sin to be involved in any way in an abortion, so why should I be forced to pay for it? Does our Constitution mean nothing anymore?

Roughly 12% of the nation's hospitals are Catholic-run. They will very likely be closing in the next two years if the government does not reach a workable compromise. The hospital I work for is one of them. I am willing to look for work elsewhere, if need be.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 12:21 AM on Nov. 18, 2012