Why is birth control suddenly against Christianity?

Today an acquaintance on Facebook posted an article she call "concerning" it is about how a Christian company "Hobby Lobby" (I had no idea they were Christian) is going to be "forced" to comply with Obama's HHS mandate, which they are saying is going to "force them to provide their employees with pills that induce abortion"

My question isn't about that exactly but is this, why for all the years I have been a Christian before Obama (which is a lot) did the only Christians I knew of who were against birth control and planB were Catholics and a small amount of Baptists and all the Christians I knew who talked about such things were all for BC and complained at how much it costs but now that Obama is involved in something that will make it cost less for them, they are all against it and calling it, abortion-inducing and anti-Christian?

My mother in law is an example, she encouraged me to be on BC, saying how she was on it for YEARS before she got her tubes tied. Now all of a sudden it's abortion inducing and anti-Christian. smh. Has anyone else noticed this.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:31 PM on Nov. 14, 2012 in Religious Debate

• It's not so much an issue of "Christians" being against BC as it is Businesses that are Christian based are being required to the same regulations as every other BUSINESS there is and cannot use their religious status to cut corners in cases such as providing healthcare for their employees thus costing the business more money. Birthcontrol is merely the rallying point or tool that they decided to utilize to try to bypass compliance with law.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 4:37 PM on Nov. 14, 2012

• 1) the 'abortion pill' does not cause and abortion. It just prevents implantation so if an egg were fertilized it would not attach BUT if it had implanted the pill would do nothing.
    2) as much as I am against abortion I do not think any store should be making decisions about how their employees use the insurance.
    3)birth control has always been a touchy subject with certain denominations.
    4) not all forms of birth control are created equally. Some are actually okay while others are not in some denominations
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:38 PM on Nov. 14, 2012

• Traditionally, Christianity as a whole has never been against birth control. Catholicism was always against it, and a few other variations of a handful of Protestant denoms had rules on it, but generally speaking, Christianity didn't care. Same with Judaism, which also has no issue with bc. It's only politically active conservatives who use religion as their excuse to push an agenda who care about bc in context of faith. Even most Catholics think the church is wrong about bc, and most Catholic women USE it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:42 PM on Nov. 14, 2012

• Further proof that Christians don't know the first fucking thing about science.
    FreeForAll

Answer by FreeForAll at 4:34 PM on Nov. 14, 2012

• It is stopping the natural consequence of sexual activity.

If it's a natural consequence of "sexual activity" someone's been doing oral wrong...
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:37 PM on Nov. 14, 2012

• if someone doesn't agree with BC, why should they be forced to pay for insurance that provides BC for free to their employees?

Becasue they sholdn't be abe to force THEIR personal opinions regarding healthcare on their employees.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:49 AM on Nov. 15, 2012

• I didn't know it was a Christian organization either, but it is not surprising given how much religious-themed items they sell and that they are closed on Sundays.

They do not want to be forced to carry insurance that covers emergency contraception for their employees. There was a lawsuit filed in September, causing some uproar.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/21/hobby-lobby-obamacare-lawsuit-morning-after-pill_n_1903472.html

anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 4:46 PM on Nov. 14, 2012

• And don't think anyone proclaiming something to be 'anti-Christian' to imply all Christians. There's over 40k denominations out there, so no group speaks for everybody.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 4:55 PM on Nov. 14, 2012

• I've noticed this as well. Honestly it seems like a lot are becoming even more militantly "Christian". I guess it's in response to the Gay Marriage movement, Plan B becoming more readily available and, of course, Obama becoming president. It could be socio-economic as well, many people seem to cling more tightly to religion in times of economic crisis. For some, it makes them calmer, nicer people. But, others become militant.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 4:44 PM on Nov. 14, 2012

• Honestly many birth control pills stop ovulation as a first step - no ovulation, no fertilization. They also line the walls to make it harder for sperm to get to an egg, and THEN (as a last resort, if the first two fail) for the egg to implant. So if the pill (at least ones designed this way) works as it should there should be no egg, because that is the main step. But people want to over look that and jump solely on the "it stops implantation" bandwagon, even though women naturally pass many fertilized eggs in their lifetimes without even knowing. That's one of the main arguments I've seen, anyway. That and it apparently encourages promiscuity and sex outside of marriage. Because that level of holiness matters more than allowing people to at least be responsible about their choices and preventing the need for an abortion in the first place...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 5:03 PM on Nov. 14, 2012