• In the Spotlight:

making your own baby food?

I am going to start making my own baby food because of the cost factor involved in constantly buying those little gerber jars. I have a powerful blender, does anyone have any good recipes to share?

jamesmommy12

Asked by jamesmommy12 at 10:35 AM on Feb. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• http://www.homemade-baby-food-recipes.com/

If you're BFing, use BM instead of water to mix.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 11:03 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• During the day I just blended fruits and veggies with a little formula and at night I did the same thing but they had whatever we were having for dinner.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 10:37 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I tried to make my own babyfood and my little one refused to eat it. I have no clue why. He will eat the jarred baby food just fine. You might want to make a small amount at first to make sure your little one will eat it. My friend had the same problem with her baby. There are a lot of websites that have recipes for babyfood. GOod Luck!
    frapanda

Answer by frapanda at 11:22 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• Just steam and puree! Easy as pie.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:36 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• i steam everything that he can eat.. fruits veggies grains, he even gets a bit of grain bread.. my son is 7 months old, and he loves squash and prunes..
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 11:38 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• As others have said, steam and puree but if you want ideas for mixes and meals you can check out Cuisinart recipes.  Also Home made baby foodshas some good suggestions on tools and preparation.  Another good link is Wholesomebabyfood.  They have some good suggestions.

I personally used my Magic Bullet, if you have one.  It made smaller amounts and I could cook, puree, and store in the same container.  Then I would just dish up a portion for my son at each meal.

chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 2:28 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• Look at the ingredient label on the jar of baby food. Just about everything has either rice or oatmeal. I cooked up enough of both for the week. You can boil, fry or bake chicken or beef. Chicken, apricots and rice is a good meal. Apricots are high in iron.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 2:48 PM on Feb. 11, 2009