7yr old diagnosed with adhd (inattentive)

My 7yr old son was just diagnosed with adhd. Few ppl thou he had it, mainly the school, we didnt think he did, but as time went on we noticed it. He has received alot of help since he was 3 yrs old, all types of therapy to help from speech, writing, reading, etc.
I decided to get him tested for it, and turned out he did.
We decided to try out the medication after a long discussion, we didn't want to but since he has gone thru a lot of the help that's available that could help him improve without meds and hasn't helped too much, he is very and is struggling a lot in school, so we had to go with the meds.

I am a bit afraid thou, i heard alot of negative and some positive of the meds from some friends. Mostly negatives is from who dont really have kids with adhd but based on what they have seeing or heard.
So, I am wondering, if anyone is familiar with this, has a child with adhd and their kids are in meds, what its to be expected from it? does it really help?

He is going to be in adderal starting with lowest dose, 5 mg.
He will be starting it on Friday.
I appreciate the tips!
thanks

20_mama_3

Asked by 20_mama_3 at 6:26 PM on Nov. 14, 2012 in General Parenting

• It helped my son tremendously. First we started with Ritilin. There was an improvement, but he wasn't sleeping. We switched a few years ago to Vyvanse. Much better for us. And he sleeps. He still has trouble, but the medication is wonderful. Good luck to you!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 6:35 PM on Nov. 14, 2012

• I have raised a son with severe ADHD. He took ritalin. I was not happy about the thought. I agreed to try for a week. 3 days later I called the Dr and told him write the script. My son was calm, able to focus and stay on task. He wasn't having emotional ouburst because he was no longer frustrated. He was also 7. I had been telling Drs something was wrong since he was 3 and nobody listened. I finally found a pediatrician who agreed he needed testing.. His scores were off the charts. He is almost 30 and refuses to take meds now. He thinks he has outgrown it. Some people do outgrow most of it, others do not. He can't make a good choice to save his own life without meds. We are now raising his children. My Grandson has many medical issues. On top of that he is autistic and had ADHD. The difference with him on meds is a totally different child, in a wholly good way. Off meds the day is an emotional outburst nightmare, screaming ..
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 6:35 PM on Nov. 14, 2012

• cont'd On meds he is calm, able to sit still and focus. His outbursts are rare and few on meds. He is doing so well in school since we began them. The only issue we ever had with meds is they can suppress appetite so you really need to make every bite you can get in them count. My grandson gets an extra supplement each day to boost his calorie intake.If you have any other questions feel free to bsg me.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 6:38 PM on Nov. 14, 2012

• My 5 year old was diagnosed with Over-Focused ADHD with impulsivity. He started out at 5mg of 4 hour Ritalin over the summer. Once school started we switched to 10mg 8 hour dose. We have increased it to 20mg since the 10mg extended dose wasn't quite enough. We've settled down now, but may be trying Concerta, which is simply longer-acting Ritalin. We have had no real side effects beyond decreased hunger, which is pretty common with stimulants. I just try to make sure he eats a good breakfast which seems to keep him going until dinner even if he just picks at lunch. I will say it makes a world of difference. He was almost totally unmanageable beforehand- very non-compliant and focused only on what he wanted. The medicine helps him be more compliant and change tasks more easily, he also can think before he acts- most of the time.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 6:40 PM on Nov. 14, 2012

• For the lack of eating I have found Carnation Instant Breakfast (any time of day) is great, so is slim-fast and ensure. My son has actually gained a few pounds and inches since starting the meds. Some kids slow down growth, because they're not eating.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 6:41 PM on Nov. 14, 2012

• We just started my 10 year old on Concerta a few weeks ago. We have been through everything else with him, from therapy to natural supplements, chelation, a gluten free diet, you name it. We waited until there was nothing else to try to ask for medicine. The change in him has been dramatic! He's so much happier now. His attitude is positive, he's not acting out in class, and he's not having social issues anymore. So far, it's been amazing how well it's helping him.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 6:48 PM on Nov. 14, 2012

• I've heard good things from my friend whose son has been on meds for about three years or so. They do take him off it for the summer to give hm a break, and then start back up once school's about ready to start. The change in him was dramatic she said. He's done so much better on it. I don't remember what he's on, but they do play with the dosage occasionally (she and the doctor) and he is very closely monitored.

I was on Ritalin a few years ago and hated it. I think maybe another medication would have worked for me, but I've been too scared to try it after the zombie feeling that Ritalin gave me. Because of that, I have yet to try anything on my dd. I am getting to the point though of wanting to at least try meds for awhile.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 7:07 PM on Nov. 14, 2012

• Yes. Absolutely it helps. Just be aware that the dr should start him on a very low dose. The lowest the meds come in. I have seen children who weigh40pounds on more meds than a 15 year old who weighs 140. Also I hope he is seeing a neurobehavioral specialist.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 7:22 PM on Nov. 14, 2012

• Just hang in there,, one of the things is that most adhd kids are highly intelligent, with time and your love he will probably be the next Albert Einstein, or President, god bless you for getting him help!!!!
    shhitisawig

Answer by shhitisawig at 8:20 PM on Nov. 14, 2012

• It will help. I wish you lots of luck. You will have a happier child.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 9:44 PM on Nov. 14, 2012