To those that reject the Greatest message of God...

Based on your understand of what a Christian should be like, what would YOU have to give up if you accepted Jesus that you are not willing to give up yet?

Christians to my understanding SHOULD be: Loving, living by faith, doing acts of kindness, living above reproach, forgiving, encouraging, devoted, merciful, preaching the word, correcting others using the Word of God gently, growing in their walk and surrendering to God.

Which of these are BAD?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:46 AM on Feb. 11, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• why do you have to do nice things just because your god "says" so?? i am a nice person, i give to charities when i can, i take care of my daughter in the best way possible, and i am an atheist. i do nice things and am a good person because that's the right thing to do, not because i HAVE to. i'm not wiling to give up anything just to appease some man in the sky who has already deemed me unworthy because i don't believe in him. i shouldn't have to give up anything that makes me happy.
    MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 10:52 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I truly do not understand the question.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 10:53 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• you took the words right out my mouth mamalala369
    nakita72

Answer by nakita72 at 10:55 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I wouldn't have to give up anything to accept Jesus ---- I just don't believe in him.

It's sort of like if someone asked you the exact same question, but changed "Jesus" to "The Great Unicorn Queen of HubbaLubbaDoo" and changed "God" to "King ButterBread".

You don't believe in those things (I sincerely hope noone does LOL) ---- so it's not a matter of giving up anything --- it's just simply that you don't believe in them. It's the same thing... some people just simply don't believe in the same God you do.

People can be loving, forgiving, encouraging, devoted, merciful, etc w/o any "God" in their lives.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 10:55 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• she's asking this: what would you have to give up in order to beccome a true christian. I'm guessing it could mean, giving up bad habits or certain beliefs. But, most christians don't give up anything anyway. there are many christians who still smoke pot, have a drinking problem, have weird sexual fantasies & judge others. So i don't really think the question is relavent, because most Christians arent perfect to begin with. I would not give up a thing if i chose to convert, i would think that my faith in Jesus is all i would really need right?

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:58 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I dont' believe I have to give up anything to have my faith. I have a very strong faith, I also drink on occasion, smoke, curse. I've made alot of mistakes, so WHAT?? I am also a good mom, a good wife, and good friend ETC. I believe in the good of others, I pray all the time. I show compassion.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:02 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• I accept Jesus, as a teacher of good things NOT as a messiah. BTDT and dont buy it anymore.

You dont have to accept the christian way of thinking to be a good person,etc. I didnt give up anything to NOT be christian anymore and the same would be if I went back to it(which I wont).

Like others have said...you can be an amazing person w/o God in your life or with a different God/Goddess in your life.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 11:03 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• The Great Unicorn Queen of HubbaLubbaDoo is TOTALLY the new name of my band.

rock n roll

Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 11:04 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• There is nothing I would give up to become a Christian again, I use to be, and I found parts of it lacking.
    Just because I’m not religious, does not mean I’m not a loving individual I am very loving to friends, family, my community, etc. I do acts of kindness a lot, like taking care of my dying Grandfather, not only do I do his chores and errands, I stop over just to say hi, because I know he gets lonely. . I am very forgiving to those around me.. but when I do something wrong, I do more than just ask for forgiveness. I take action to make it right. I encourage myself, my daughter, my family and friends everyday to find happiness in their life, as well as encouraging them in a lot of different ways (encourage them to continue schooling etc). I am a very devoted parent. Merciful is the same as kindness. cont..
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:16 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• However I do not live by your idea of faith, because my faith is in myself, and my family and my friend, no in a God. Now as for living above reproach, this is part of the reason I left Christianity, because I find living above reproach to be hypocritical in most cases, ex. Fearing and hating others because they don’t believe the same as you, especially when they try to preach the word and when they try to “correct others.” Most people forget how to preach KIND words, they rather preach about the blasphemy of others.

Now I do not find what you said to be bad, however, some do not practice all that you said and ARE Christians. cont.
    xxhazeldovexx