Do you have hypothyroidism?

How were you diagnosed? And did you have trouble getting the doctor to listen to you? I have hypothyroidism, but would like to hear your story. :) Thanks.

SusieD250

Asked by SusieD250 at 11:16 AM on Feb. 11, 2009 in Health

• Yes, I did also my doc tried to tell me I was just tired and sluggish from having kids and that he was certain everything would be fine well I told him to do the blood work anyway and he did very certain it would come back normal and it didnt so I had to push him.
    mom4ever76

Answer by mom4ever76 at 7:33 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• YES. In high school, my doctor said I just needed to push myself a bit more...as if I was lazy. Ha. Finally ,in college,I found a doctor who took it seriously and did new tests,I was definitely a person with hypothyroidism. After taking a grain a day of Thyroxin,it was like I woke up out of a fog, I had energy and I lost 10 pounds even while eating more.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 11:27 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

• Boy did I ever have trouble getting a doctor to listen to me. I had my first child almost 22 years ago and spent most of the next 16 years trying to find someone who would listen to me. I suffered from Depression and couldn't seem to lose weight. Every doctor I talked to told me basically the same thing...eat less, exercise more. I felt worthless and weak. Finally my brother became a doctor and saw my blood tests. My thyroid was low/normal and he prescribed Armour Thyroid for the problem. The results were almost instantaneous. Like Linalu2 I felt like an instant fog had been lifted. And I joined Weight Watchers, lost 30 pounds and started exercising. By the way, low thyroid can also cause your HDL to be low so you'll want to have that checked too. Good luck!
    Nancy59

Answer by Nancy59 at 1:12 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

• Yes and they handled it very well, actually. I went to the doctor about weight loss because I had gained 10 pounds all of a sudden REALLY quick. They do tests on everyone wanting to lose weight, so they gave me a blood test, showed me my results that my Thyroid was under active, so I went to another doctor, got tested again and got put on medicine for it. They seen it the first time they tested me. It was such a relief too because I had a newborn baby and I was always extremely tired and wanted to sleep countless hours. Hypothyroidism runs in my family too, but they believe my pregnancy is the reason..Some people develop hypothyroidism after having a baby or during pregnancy which seems to be when I did.
    Anonymous