History experts - please help

I stink at understanding all these speeches I have to read and analyze. The last question for this section asks:Why do you suppose Jefferson Davis adamantly disagreed with this speech (cornerstone speech)?

please help. I am so lost. and yes, I read the speech. both of these men love slavery and Alexnder Stephens enjoys the seceded states. Is that they key? the seceded states? what am I missing. Please help

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:26 PM on Nov. 14, 2012 in

• Jefferson Davis was all about states' rights. He didn't have a problem with slavery, either, but the right of individual states to prevail over the federal government was his big deal. I'm no expert, but I've been a textbook proofreader for seven and a half years. Good luck!
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:46 AM on Nov. 15, 2012

• If I remember right, Davis disagreed and said the cause of south was "State Sovereignty" and not slavery or racism. And also, Davis hated Stephen's emphasis on slavery rather than the politically advantageous theme of state versus national sovereignty. The Northern also disagreed with it too, surprise, surprise. But in order to understand Davis, and may be able to figure out what you are missing, here is a site that is all about Davis and his views...

http://www.mtgriffith.com/web_documents/jeffersondavis.htm

http://www.nps.gov/bost/the-anti-secessionist-jefferson-davis.htm

These 2 sitrds are the mosy unbiased ones I have read. I had to do a college term paper years ago, and these sites had wonderful info.

Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 11:33 PM on Nov. 14, 2012