Just felt like venting after this

My daughter was born 6 weeks early and with some suppressed breathing that as far as they can tell was probably from my Seroquel. So she spent the first 6 hours of her life on a ventilator because of this stuff. After 2 days they had her off all oxygen breathing on her own and doing so well with everything they are talking about sending her home after only a week in the NICU. All the nurses know why I'm bottle feeding it's in the chart.
So I've just fed my beautiful baby a bottle that they told us that she probably wouldn't figure out for two more weeks. We are celebrating that she is off all breathing equipment and the heater then the lactation consultant comes in looks at the chart and says that she wants to know all my medication with doses so she can look them up for me because she wants to know that I REALLY CAN'T breastfeed on them. Then later starts to go on about how in cases of withdrawls that it's actually better for them to continue to get small amounts of the medication. It's like the words suppressed breathing mean nothing to this woman. I don't want ANY of my medication in her system I don't care if breastmilk is magical fairy liquid. I don't care if it will fix her reflux. Personally I care a lot more if my child is breathing the if they are a little barfy.

Sorry 90% of this may be a mix of I just gave birth on the 10th and that my baby is 60 miles away in the NICU but I expect somebody who has read my chart to just go with what it says. I already have enough guilt about my pills putting her on a ventilator.

Vent over

lizziebreath

Asked by lizziebreath at 1:25 AM on Nov. 15, 2012 in General Parenting

• So sorry for your situation! You may be tender from it. If they say it can be better to slowly taper the infant off the medication then it should be true right? You are the mom. You decide. I am sure she wasn't trying to bash you! Best of luck to baby.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 1:29 AM on Nov. 15, 2012

• I can fully understand your feelings. I had a little one in NICU for 5 weeks, due to breathing and feeding issues. It's a stressful time and it is perfectly ok for you to feel like you do. Some women are just cuckoo over the breastfeeding issue. You know what's best for your little one. And congratulations!
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 1:42 AM on Nov. 15, 2012

• Hang in there. I had it easier because I could just hang the phone up on them when they'd start nagging. I couldn't BF either, the doctor and I discussed it through my whole pregnancy that it would be a slim chance it would work, but that we could try. Those women didn't take no for an answer until I stopped answering the phone when they called.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:45 AM on Nov. 15, 2012

• I always hear this complaint from women getting harassed cause she can'y bf. It is not anyone's business whether mom can bf her baby. What a bunch fucking morons. if the mom is happy and does not want to bf for some reason or another, screw the nurses and the stethoscope they rode in with. I got really lucky it seems like. I had wonderful nurses, they made sure all my needs and wants were taken care of. I had a c-section with my dd, so I was in the hospital for 3 days. They never judged me, or give me the "look" when I asked them if they could put my dd back to the nursey so I could sleep. They made sure I was in no pain, so I was pleasently high for 3 days. There coulds have been a bombing and I would have said "Well damn, I guess that will pretty much ruin my day!" LOL '
    Well OP, I am sorry you had to go through that after giving birth to a miracle. I hope if there is a next time, it goes better for you.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 2:53 AM on Nov. 15, 2012

• if the mom is happy and does not want to bf for some reason or another, screw the nurses and the stethoscope they rode in with.

Usually it's not the nurses that are the problem - it's the "lactation specialists". Their only job is to get babies hooked to boobs, which is awesome in cases where it's a reasonable goal. The problem seems to lie in getting them to back off when people who know better than they do (like the doctors) say no.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:48 AM on Nov. 15, 2012

• First off if you don't want to bf they can't force you.. It's bad enough you have to be away from your baby.. i'm really sorry you are going through this.
    mommys2cupcakes

Answer by mommys2cupcakes at 5:12 AM on Nov. 15, 2012

• that is awful that she is doing that. i think that people like that are the ones who make people think all breast feeders are pushy.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 6:09 AM on Nov. 15, 2012

• I would have told that lady to go shuve her Ideas of what I should be doing up her ass. Did she even ask you if you wanted to breast food before rattling on about that shit?

Answer by louise2 at 7:04 AM on Nov. 15, 2012

• Does the lactation consultant even have any authority/right to be looking at the chart like that? If I'm correct, she's not a doctor, or a nurse, or any other medical worker that should be looking at the chart, and if that's the case, I'm just enough of a bitch that I'd turn around and lecture her on right to privacy and tell her where she can shove her demanding attitude.

Even if she does have some authority/right to look at it, I'd still tell her to shut the hell up and get out of my face. You are the mom, and unless there's a doctor telling you that something needs to be done for the sake of your baby's health, you get to make the decisions. Even if it's the doctor, you still make the decision, but at least with the doctor, you know that they actually (well, in theory anyway) know what they're talking about.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:07 AM on Nov. 15, 2012

• You or your DH/SO should make a phone call right now to the head of Labor & Delivery & tell that person if ANY Lactation consultant steps another foot into your room that you will sue the Hospital for harassment. That is BS! That Lact. Consult is NOT a Doctor & has NO SAY or OPINION that matters. If she comes back in then I would tell her the same thing, to go "F" OFF!. BTW, Congrats on your new baby!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:44 PM on Nov. 15, 2012