An *unknown* company deposited $200 in our bank account.....

This was not authorized and the bank has no information. Well someone has our bank account information. Could I withdraw all the money and just close it?? Could the company come after me although I have no knowledge or did not sign for money to be put in my account??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:35 AM on Nov. 15, 2012 in Money & Work

• tell your bank to put in writing that you asked and they could not answer. therefore, you have no way to return any money not due you. also, have them put in writing that you will not be held responsible for returning the money (which might lead to a miraculous discover of where the money came from - someone might want to do the work then). be persistent until they figure it out or agree to hold you harmless. THEN close the account
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 7:09 PM on Nov. 15, 2012

• It might just be an error. Maybe they meant to put it in account 12345 and instead it ended up in account 12346. I would just leave it as is, and keep a very close eye on your account.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 11:35 AM on Nov. 15, 2012

• Oh, and no, I would NOT take that money out. If you feel you need to close the account for security reasons, I would take everything except that $200, and leave it open. Eventually, I'm sure the company will realize their mistake and will want their money back. If they come back and the account is closed and you took the money, I would think they would have grounds to go after you for fraud because you knew the money was not yours.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 11:38 AM on Nov. 15, 2012

• have you looked up the company online?
    YES change your acct info NOW
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 10:36 AM on Nov. 15, 2012

• The bank can't track where and how the money was deposited?

Thats what I was thinking, if you're bank cant tell you then I would be switching banks.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 10:44 AM on Nov. 15, 2012

• They'll probably track down the problem in a week or two when whoever deposited the money comes to them complaining. If it were me, I'd just leave the money there and wait a few months, keeping a close eye on the account.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 10:55 AM on Nov. 15, 2012

• Contact your bank and have your account closed.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 11:22 AM on Nov. 15, 2012

• Or if it was a hand written deposit ticket, the person might have missed a number in their account and that's why it went to yours instead.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:40 PM on Nov. 15, 2012

• Did you possibly need money? Did you tell anyone that you could use some extra money? I was thinking maybe someone knew, and did it as a surprise.... Just a thought.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 1:06 PM on Nov. 15, 2012

• Like Wendy said, it was probably human error. Deposits that are not made electronically get punched in by hand by the teller and sometimes again when it gets processed (depending on what type of system the bank uses). It happens sometimes that the wrong number gets punched in. More than likely, it will be fixed when the original person realizes that their account wasn't credited that $200.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:39 PM on Nov. 15, 2012