I have my 17 year old daughter who goes to a dorming High School. I have her ask permission from me to go somewhere and she has to let me know when she get's back. Is this being too strict? If she was living at home she would need to ask me to go somewhere. She thinks I am being to strict on her. She never get's in trouble and get's good grades. However, a few times she has not asked me and I get upset because really that is her one main rule to follow. With driving and her friends I worry?

Even though my daughter dorms I live only 15 minutes away. So I can be in her life and she comes home every weekend. But she is also learning independance and getting well prepared for college. She is a Senior this year and on weekends needs to be home no later than 12:00. I tell her that I don't care that other mom's don't care where there children are, but that is my rule.

3XBlessed5

Asked by 3XBlessed5 at 11:26 AM on Nov. 15, 2012 in Teens (13-17)

• No, it's not too strict. Too bad for her if she doesn't like it. That's life.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:28 AM on Nov. 15, 2012

• Not too strict
    Sonata8

Answer by Sonata8 at 11:42 AM on Nov. 15, 2012

• It's not too strict in my opinion. It's normal to want to know where and when your daughter is going out !
    ajc03

Answer by ajc03 at 11:46 AM on Nov. 15, 2012

• Not only is it not too strict, it's probably part of the reason she doesn't get in trouble. It's your responsibility as a mom to know where she is, and who she's with.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:50 AM on Nov. 15, 2012

• I think you are correct.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:58 AM on Nov. 15, 2012

• Personally if you want that kind of control then she should be living at home. She isn't learning anything additional by living away if she's still reporting in to you. I think knowing where your children are and what they are doing until the graduate highschool is reasonable, but not if she's not living at home.

Answer by missanc at 12:00 PM on Nov. 15, 2012

• no thats called being a parent
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 12:00 PM on Nov. 15, 2012

• I don't understand why she's in a dorming school just 15 minutes away. That's very odd to me. If it's because you're preparing her to be independent when she lives alone at college than maybe you just actually prepare her for that. Not saying you shouldn't care about where your 17 year old daughter is but what's the point of letting her live independently to prepare for college if you're going to enforce the same rule on her as you would if she lived at home? Plus, she's still a minor so doesn't the school have some sort of curfew?
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 12:32 PM on Nov. 15, 2012

• My daughter went to a ok thru 12th grade private girls school that also had boarding students. I never understood parents who boarded their children when they lived in town. Many of the girls said their parents ust did not want to be bothered with them.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 12:51 PM on Nov. 15, 2012

• My kids also went to a high school that had a dorm, although they lived close enough they didnt have to live in it until my youngest one's senior year when I moved farther away. That school made it a requirement that the kids had to have permission from the parents to leave school, or the dorm. They are a bunch of minors! Whose going to let them just run around without parents knowing where they are????
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 1:01 PM on Nov. 15, 2012