Babysitter

Occasionally I have a 18 year old friend watch my 17 month old son on weekends, like one weekend a month I drop him off at 8pm on a saturday and pick him up at 8pm on Monday. She is not cpr certified or anything and doesn't have a daycare. She is trying to charge me between 70-80 dollars and I find that rather expensive. Also I supply clothes, food, diapers and the transportation.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:17 PM on Nov. 15, 2012 in General Parenting

• I think that's rather inexpensive to be honest. I would be concerned about the lack of cpr, simply because I think everyone should be certified.

You are, essentially, paying her $1.66/hour which is ridiculous, imo
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 1:22 PM on Nov. 15, 2012

• I think 70-80 dollars for 2 days for someone who is inexperienced is a lot of money imo.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:28 PM on Nov. 15, 2012

• WOW! $80 for 2 whole days is GREAT! Who else would be willing to take the huge responsibility of a baby over a weekend unless they were immediate family?? I hope she is a responsible person though at 18, is she experienced with children.. ??

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:29 PM on Nov. 15, 2012

• My question is why the fuck would you leave your kid with someone for two days.
    SaraD1989

Answer by SaraD1989 at 1:45 PM on Nov. 15, 2012

• Make sure she is CPR certified. Even if you have to pay for it yourself. It's $45 here where I live. Do not let anyone watch your child who isn't CPR certified. A few weeks ago, my 13 mo old was choking on food and the ONLY thing that saved her was using the technique I learned when I became CPR certified several years ago. Lifting her arms in the air did nothing. It was too far down for me to finger sweep. btw, never finger sweep a chocking baby anyways. But I'm sure if I wasn't CPR certified and knew what to do, my DD would not be here today. She was already turning blue. By the time I would have called 911 and they got here, she would have been gone. Please listen to me here, make sure she is CPR certified, since she will be FEEDING your child.

As for the rate, she is allowed to charge what she wants. If you feel it's too much, you can find someone else. Her inexperience shouldn't be a reason to pay less...
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 1:53 PM on Nov. 15, 2012

• ...instead a reason for you to consider someone else.
    keisha613

• SaraD-Its not all the time it's once in awhile.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:57 PM on Nov. 15, 2012

• keisha- actually look on caregiver websites people do pay less for people who are not certified. It is a babysitter not experienced daycare provider.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:58 PM on Nov. 15, 2012

• Omg. $1.66/ hour is not alot. Even 16 year olds get like $5/hour when they babysit.
    Hollyhock.

Answer by Hollyhock. at 2:44 PM on Nov. 15, 2012

• $35 - $40 / day is not a lot of money. You expect her to give up everything to watch your child for 48 hours. If you don't think she's worth $35 then I sure wouldn't let her watch my child. I'd also classify above a babysitter and more of a nanny as a babysitter the child goes home after a short time later and not 2 days.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 3:15 PM on Nov. 15, 2012