Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can the father of my youngest son stop me from moving to another state?

I am moving 2 hours away from my hometown and I have a feeling that the father of my youngest son will contest and stop me from moving. I have given him his notice in writting. But just wondering if anyone has been through this and knows something about it.

Answer Question

Asked by exhaustedmomn09 at 11:39 AM on Feb. 11, 2009 in Relationships

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (12)
  • You would have to check the laws in your state, it differs from state to state.

    Answer by feesharose at 11:42 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

  • Most likely, yes, he can challenge you moving to another state. Depends on your state.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

  • Do you have sole legal custody grnated by a court? If so does your court order say you cannot leave the state with the child without the fathers consent? I don't know where you are..but here the parent wanting to take the child out of state must have the other parent and/or the courts approval.

    Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:44 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

  • He will need to get an attny and a Guardian Ad Litem and contest it and take you to court. You will then have to show/give reason for your move and why it is in the best interest of you and your children to move.
    this process may take months and you will not be able to move during this, unless the move concerns the safety of the children.

    Answer by moniquesand at 11:45 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

  • I agree with GRNEYEDGRANDMA

    Answer by louise2 at 11:45 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

  • It does vary by state, you started by notifying him in writing, does he have visitation rights or joint custody? You will probably have to meet for certain visitations and holidays for visitation on a schedule. My bro in in navy and his wife has a child with xhubby and they have to pay to fly from whatever base they are at or they have to come to him. Luckily its only 2 hours so it may not be a big deal, but if its a new state it can be contested and you could be forced to stay. I would call a law guardian or attorney that specializes in family court and find out before I start packing.

    Answer by lakegeorge_mom at 11:48 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

  • In MN they can.. my girlfriends bf was beating the crap out of her and she wanted to take off to her family's in indiana and he took the baby and left and because she was going to indiana couldn't take the baby with

    Answer by Kelly_Ann at 11:54 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

  • You have to inform him in writing 3 months prior to the move and file a relocation paper with the courts. He then can contest or not contest. But, if you move away without following the steps you can have sanctions against you. Check your parenting plan.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on Feb. 11, 2009

  • Make sure you call your local courthouse and ask which forms you have to file. Unfortunately, just writing a letter does not saffice

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:00 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

  • Mothers usually have more rights than fathers but you have to check with the laws in that state

    Answer by LiLMomma702 at 1:56 PM on Feb. 11, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.