How can I put a stop to a mother's constant request for her child to spend the night?

My daughter is in 2nd grade. She met her friend "Alice" while in kidergarten. They have not been in the same class since but have remained friends. My daughter has stayed over at her house once and she at our house once. Since then her mother asks to let "Alice" stay the night almost every other weekend. We are an incredibly busy family on the weekend and I've had to say no time and time again, yet she asks all the time. Aren't we suppose to be the one asking her? I'm almost at a loss of what to say any more because I feel like I've been put on the spot. Any suggestions on how I should handle this?

MPow

Asked by MPow at 3:13 PM on Nov. 15, 2012 in General Parenting

• I would tell her just what you said here "We are really very busy on the weekends, as soon as we are free, I will give you a call and invite Alice over."

Why does she want to ditch her kid so badly?
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 3:16 PM on Nov. 15, 2012

• Tell her the dog has fleas and you're having trouble getting rid of them. That might do the trick.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 3:20 PM on Nov. 15, 2012

• maybe, her kid likes your kid and she wants to spend time with her

why not let your kid have the friend over and then sometime with in the next month have your kid go to their house

kids like sleepovers
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 3:25 PM on Nov. 15, 2012

• I think what you wrote here is pretty good!!! And you will let her know when its a good time for you!!! Good luck!!!
    theresamarie77

Answer by theresamarie77 at 3:26 PM on Nov. 15, 2012

• How does your daughter feel? Is she begging for Alice to come over? It does not sound like it.
    Even when we had jam packed weekends an extra child was no big deal. That was us.

I would just tell exactly what you told us.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:35 PM on Nov. 15, 2012

• That is incredibly rude of her to try to invite her child over. I would just tell her you're busy, not much you can do to stop the asking.

Answer by missanc at 4:21 PM on Nov. 15, 2012

• so what your saying is the kids aren asking at all? your daughter isn asking for alice to come over, and alice isnt begging her mom to let her come over?? i could understand if the kids were in ca-hoots (spelling?) and trying to get more sleepovers.. because thats something i used to do when i was little as well. but for the mom to keep calling every other weekend seems to be a bit much.. and if she were doing it on behalf of the kids why not ask if your daughter could spend the night over their house.. hmm odd. sounds like she wants a babysitter..
    kp0469

Answer by kp0469 at 4:26 PM on Nov. 15, 2012

• we've got plans SORRY not this weekend, I'll let you know the next time we have a free weekend
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 5:14 PM on Nov. 15, 2012

• reciprocation is usually expected. when my daughter was little and i was a single mom, i had a friend where we would trade kids. my daughter's friends' parents would take kaia with them just like she was their own and vice versa. sometimes it makes it easier when you're busy, even though that may seem counterintuitive. the little girl may be pressing mommy to make these calls too. don't try to read anything into it or put rules on how it's supposed to be, just let your no be no when it must and see if maybe once in a while it really can be yes.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 6:51 PM on Nov. 15, 2012

• Tell her that with few exceptions you are very busy and that sleepovers are a once a year special treat.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 10:18 AM on Nov. 19, 2012