Kids going on diets young as 3 yrs old

http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/16/living/body-image-kids/index.html

I cant post the story here, if someone doesnt mind, My computer is screwing up.

How can someone so young even know what a diet is? What the hell are these "parents" doing to their children?

LostSoul88

Asked by LostSoul88 at 4:36 PM on Nov. 15, 2012 in Parenting Debate

• What???
    BeachMommy07

Answer by BeachMommy07 at 1:23 PM on Dec. 3, 2012

• Our grandsons 2 & 3 came to us very overweight but I didn't put them on a diet. Instead we changed their eating to basic home cooking and we played with them. ALOT! The weight came off a little but then they hit a growth spurt and are doing great! Both are physically fit and now prefer snacks to be apples, carrots, etc instead of candy and rarely ask to eat at McDonalds. I don't think I'd ever put a child on a "diet" but simply get them to try new foods and if they have to snack have it be fresh fruits & veggies.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 11:20 AM on Nov. 26, 2012

• People often confuse "dieting" with a cange in diet and lifestyle changes.

Frankly, I know a five year old child who weighs in at over 90lbs. It is purely the result of their lifestyle and the parent refuses to do anything about it. That, in and of itself is abuse. In such extreme cases, yes, a "diet" can not only be beneficial, but life saving.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 6:13 AM on Nov. 19, 2012

• Everyone should eat healthy and play is the perfect exercise. No child needs to be on a diet.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 10:33 AM on Nov. 17, 2012

• A child that young shouldn't be dieting, but yet have their diet modified. I have modified a child's diet before. She came to be overweight and is now a good healthy weight. Just shows you how NOT eating McDonald's for 3 meals a day will affect a child's waistline.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:57 PM on Nov. 15, 2012

• Yes I can understand changing a childs diet to a more healthy one. But DIETING, no.

Answer by louise2 at 5:58 PM on Nov. 15, 2012

• I can understand healthy eating but dieting is just insane.. but then I can see it if the child is extremely over weight.
    mommys2cupcakes

Answer by mommys2cupcakes at 5:20 PM on Nov. 15, 2012