So, tell me again why you think your religious beliefs should be made into law?

I'm surprised this story hasn't made the rounds here, yet.

A woman in Ireland died because doctors refused to terminate her pregnancy that was making her very ill.  She wanted the baby, but knew that it was killing her, and asked that they abort it.  They refused.  They wouldn't remove the fetus as long as they could detect a fetal heartbeat.  She was told that they Ireland is a "Catholic nation", implying that even though the patient wasn't Catholic, she had to abide by Catholic rules.  By the time the fetus was declared dead, she was so critically ill that she was beyond help.  Fetus and mother died.  No one was helped by this religion.

I understand being pro-life.  Really, I do.  There was a time in my life when I believed that a fetus was the same thing as a new-born baby, and a "gift from God".  Yes, I really did believe that.  After giving it more thought, though, I realized that a woman's life has value, too, and it ultimately should be her decision whether to continue or to terminate a pregnancy.  She has her own beliefs, her own values, and knows her own life best.  Why should she be subjected and have to live (or die) according to the beliefs of others?

If there truly is such a thing as "Free Will", then let each individual exercise it as long as it doesn't harm the life or property of another person.  If you believe that life begins at conception and that it's a sin to terminate that life, then if you should find yourself pregnant, don't terminate it.  I don't believe that life begins at conception, and furthermore, I believe that my life has value and that I'm capable of making decisions that are best for me, for my life, and for my family.  Why should I risk my life because you believe your god thinks I should?  Why should I do anything because you think your god wants me to?

Tell me why I should have to follow the laws of your religion.

jsbenkert

Asked by jsbenkert at 4:37 PM on Nov. 15, 2012 in Religious Debate

• If you believe that some supernatural entity is judging me, then so be it. I'll deal with the consequences.  Honestly, though (and I'm sorry if I'm offending anyone by expressing this sentiment), if you're afraid that your god is going to judge you for the choices that some other person unconnected to you makes, I feel sorry for you.  If you think that your god is only going to approve of you if you can force everyone to live by what you deem right, or by how you interpret the books you believe he wrote, then I really feel sorry for you.  If you think that your god is judging you by how you live your life, then you don't need to worry about my free will.  After all, what is 'free will' if we don't have the rights to exercise it?

jsbenkert

Comment by jsbenkert (original poster) at 9:29 AM on Dec. 7, 2012