So, tell me again why you think your religious beliefs should be made into law?

I'm surprised this story hasn't made the rounds here, yet.

A woman in Ireland died because doctors refused to terminate her pregnancy that was making her very ill.  She wanted the baby, but knew that it was killing her, and asked that they abort it.  They refused.  They wouldn't remove the fetus as long as they could detect a fetal heartbeat.  She was told that they Ireland is a "Catholic nation", implying that even though the patient wasn't Catholic, she had to abide by Catholic rules.  By the time the fetus was declared dead, she was so critically ill that she was beyond help.  Fetus and mother died.  No one was helped by this religion.

I understand being pro-life.  Really, I do.  There was a time in my life when I believed that a fetus was the same thing as a new-born baby, and a "gift from God".  Yes, I really did believe that.  After giving it more thought, though, I realized that a woman's life has value, too, and it ultimately should be her decision whether to continue or to terminate a pregnancy.  She has her own beliefs, her own values, and knows her own life best.  Why should she be subjected and have to live (or die) according to the beliefs of others?

If there truly is such a thing as "Free Will", then let each individual exercise it as long as it doesn't harm the life or property of another person.  If you believe that life begins at conception and that it's a sin to terminate that life, then if you should find yourself pregnant, don't terminate it.  I don't believe that life begins at conception, and furthermore, I believe that my life has value and that I'm capable of making decisions that are best for me, for my life, and for my family.  Why should I risk my life because you believe your god thinks I should?  Why should I do anything because you think your god wants me to?

Tell me why I should have to follow the laws of your religion.

jsbenkert

Asked by jsbenkert at 4:37 PM on Nov. 15, 2012 in Religious Debate

• If you believe that some supernatural entity is judging me, then so be it. I'll deal with the consequences.  Honestly, though (and I'm sorry if I'm offending anyone by expressing this sentiment), if you're afraid that your god is going to judge you for the choices that some other person unconnected to you makes, I feel sorry for you.  If you think that your god is only going to approve of you if you can force everyone to live by what you deem right, or by how you interpret the books you believe he wrote, then I really feel sorry for you.  If you think that your god is judging you by how you live your life, then you don't need to worry about my free will.  After all, what is 'free will' if we don't have the rights to exercise it?

jsbenkert

Comment by jsbenkert (original poster) at 9:29 AM on Dec. 7, 2012

• Additionally, this claim that I want my "anti-religious" views to be imposed on everyone is simply ridiculous.  I don't want your beliefs imposed on me.  I don't want to have to suffer for your superstitions, but there is no same side of the coin in this discussion.  You see, I want you to be free to worship as you please if you please.  There is a huge difference between not wanting your religious views imposed on me, and me not allowing you to personally follow your beliefs.  I can't, nor would I want to, force anyone to terminate a pregnancy.  However, if a pregnancy were endangering my life, or if either of my daughters were raped or facing a life-threatening pregnancy, I don't want you to have any say in what we choose  to do.  It's simply not your business. 

jsbenkert

Comment by jsbenkert (original poster) at 9:26 AM on Dec. 7, 2012

• I took another leave of absence from this site again, and missed those fantastic responses about how YOUR belief that a fertilized egg is more worthy of consideration that the life of the actual person that's housing that egg.

Here's my point (and I'll ignore the snarky personal attacks):  If you believe that a fertilized egg that YOU are carrying is an actual life, then YOU should have the right to determine whether or not to carry it through to term or until it kills you.  If YOU are willing to risk your life to see if you can give birth to another, then you should have that right.  I don't feel, though, that YOU have the right to tell me that something growing inside me has more rights than I have, or that YOU should have the right to determine whether or not I continue with a pregnancy that is either unwanted or dangerous.

jsbenkert

Comment by jsbenkert (original poster) at 9:05 AM on Dec. 7, 2012

• no, forcing your religion into law which dictates the lives of non-followers is a theocracy, not a democracy.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 2:27 AM on Dec. 5, 2012

• To answer the original question, there are many things that I believe are harmful (some I have observed to be harmful) to people, and I think those things should be illegal. Some of those things include murder of the born and unborn, theft, assault, and fraud or identity theft. Even for people with no religious beliefs, most of these things are against their moral code and they support the laws prohibiting these acts. Where we differ is when the act in question is in the sexual realm. The abortion issue is really more about differences in ethical systems and moral codes than religion vs. non-religion.

I find it ironic that in every other discussion between religious and non-religious people, science is elevated to the status of a god. In discussions of when life begins, though, the pro-choice side ignores science and decides based on personal feelings.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 8:41 PM on Nov. 20, 2012

• Please read a bit more about the tragic death of the woman in Ireland and her unborn baby:

http://www.lifesitenews.com/blog/legal-abortion-not-the-answer-in-ireland-deaths

I realize that many will discount this because it comes from LifeSiteNews, but I think it adds something valuable to the discussion.

Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 8:33 PM on Nov. 20, 2012

• They did not murder her at all. They waited too long for any kind of intervention to be able to be done. The couple was stupid. The Dr.s may have been confused on the laws as it pertained to that case but she was already to sick to do a C section and abortion or a hysterectomy, which I believe is what they were waiting to do. The patirnt has to have some stability for them to attempt an operation or they could be sued for that too.

Again they have to follow the laws of their country just as we have to follow the rules of ours. In some places a child who is deformed or has other unacceptable issues can be left to die and that follows their laws, it may be partly their religion or not I dunno.We can't do that here. Why? because our laws are different.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:35 PM on Nov. 20, 2012

• From everything I've read about this. Even an Abortion wouldn't have helped. She had been leaking amniotic fluid for awhile. They didn't decide to go seek medical help until she became sick. At that point the infection spread so far that the only thing that would have helped was a hysterectomy. Being as sick as she was they would have to bring down the white cell count before operating, In other words they waited too long to receive any help at all. You're grasping at straws here. You've been doing that a lot lately. Do you ever research anything? or just have a knee jerk reaction to whatever article may prove ( most times a very weak argument) your point? For the most part everyone on this thread has had a knee jerk reaction. No one dug into what really happened. This is not about abortion it's about the lack education of pregnancy and to watch for.
    daps

Answer by daps at 5:21 AM on Nov. 20, 2012

• I fail to see why "because I think that's what's right" is better than "because G-d said so"...

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 2:43 PM on Nov. 18, 2012

• My religious beliefs are about tolerance and equality... Sounds like a decent basis for government to me... But the fact is our laws should be about equality and tolerance not because of any religion, but because of lack of religion! NO religion has a place in government!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:47 AM on Nov. 18, 2012