So, tell me again why you think your religious beliefs should be made into law?

I'm surprised this story hasn't made the rounds here, yet.

A woman in Ireland died because doctors refused to terminate her pregnancy that was making her very ill.  She wanted the baby, but knew that it was killing her, and asked that they abort it.  They refused.  They wouldn't remove the fetus as long as they could detect a fetal heartbeat.  She was told that they Ireland is a "Catholic nation", implying that even though the patient wasn't Catholic, she had to abide by Catholic rules.  By the time the fetus was declared dead, she was so critically ill that she was beyond help.  Fetus and mother died.  No one was helped by this religion.

I understand being pro-life.  Really, I do.  There was a time in my life when I believed that a fetus was the same thing as a new-born baby, and a "gift from God".  Yes, I really did believe that.  After giving it more thought, though, I realized that a woman's life has value, too, and it ultimately should be her decision whether to continue or to terminate a pregnancy.  She has her own beliefs, her own values, and knows her own life best.  Why should she be subjected and have to live (or die) according to the beliefs of others?

If there truly is such a thing as "Free Will", then let each individual exercise it as long as it doesn't harm the life or property of another person.  If you believe that life begins at conception and that it's a sin to terminate that life, then if you should find yourself pregnant, don't terminate it.  I don't believe that life begins at conception, and furthermore, I believe that my life has value and that I'm capable of making decisions that are best for me, for my life, and for my family.  Why should I risk my life because you believe your god thinks I should?  Why should I do anything because you think your god wants me to?

Tell me why I should have to follow the laws of your religion.

jsbenkert

Asked by jsbenkert at 4:37 PM on Nov. 15, 2012 in Religious Debate

• Another good reason why Romney didnt get into office....
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 4:38 PM on Nov. 15, 2012

• I don't think you should HOWEVER I do think you have to follow the law of the land. Here, termination of a pregnancy is not considered murder. Ireland's laws are different.
    Just as I do not believe that is is not all right to take someone out and shoot them and thankfully those are the laws I live under, but that is not that case all over the world.
    Just as here some forms of female (wife , daughter, sister) "discipline" and restriction is law. Here it would not be tolerated.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:58 PM on Nov. 15, 2012

• Most laws are based on moral principles. If you believed that abortion was the killing of a human, shouldn't you expect that to carry over into laws? If you thought that abortion was wholesale slaughter, wouldn't you want the law to affect that. Just as taking a gun and holding it to a person's head and killing him is murder.
    The question you asked and the story aren't in a stable married
    Now, I this was addressed in another thread, but it sounds as if the law is not being interpreted correctly by some hospitals in Ireland
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 5:02 PM on Nov. 15, 2012

• im not quite sure what my own beliefs are. I know i believe a child is a child before its born.. like right now im 32 weeks pregnant and you best believe my baby is a baby. if she came out right now she'd live and have a full life ahead of her.. she moves and kicks and reacts and dreams.. but for a pregnancy that is really super early, no brain, no heartbeats, nothing yet and no chance of survival.. i guess im more okay with the idea of people aborting at that point.. this story is sad.. because although yes im catholic, and yes i am pro- life personally but in no way do i think of a government should have the right to make those decisions for you.. its a scary thought
    kp0469

Answer by kp0469 at 5:08 PM on Nov. 15, 2012

• I think the doctors should have treated her. If your asking if abortion should be legal, than that should be for people to decide. Ireland has voted twice to legalize abortion and both times it was voted down, that's a democracy.

They are still investigating what happened. If she was having a miscarriage or suffering from some sort of blood poisoning she should have been treated.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:18 PM on Nov. 15, 2012

• Rights to autonomy are civil rights.  To me, what I do to my own body, and the decisions I make pertaining to my own reproductive system, whether or not to use birth control, whether or not to continue with a pregnancy, are decisions that affect me.  They do not affect you.  Just as the right to marry the one you love does not affect me.  These laws are based on some subjective, religiously-colored morality that I do not share because they infringe on the rights of individuals.  Voting to grant rights to black Americans was insulting because those rights should have been theirs to begin with.  Voting to let some people marry, while prohibiting others of legal age is wrong.  It is a civil right.  What is not a civil right is to impose your religious morality on my, on my daughters, or on anyone else who does not share your faith.

jsbenkert

Comment by jsbenkert (original poster) at 5:28 PM on Nov. 15, 2012

• There are many people who are not religiousbut who are against abortion because they see it as a civil rights violation for the unborn baby.  This issue will never be resolved because if you feel an unborn child is a fully human person it's hard to vote for laws allowing abortion. 

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:38 PM on Nov. 15, 2012

• What that means, of course, is that if you can get enough people to vote for your religious beliefs to be made into law, then everyone has to follow them, even if they're not part of your faith.  It also means that if our demographics change enough, you might be subjected to and have to follow the beliefs of another religion, should another religion become dominate.  It renders the First Amendment useless, because they way people are reading democracy is that whoever has the most votes wins.  If enough people believe that slavery should be reinstated and based on race, then watch out targeted groups!   After all, majority rules . . .

jsbenkert

Comment by jsbenkert (original poster) at 5:40 PM on Nov. 15, 2012

• I know not to getsick in Ireland.

Answer by louise2 at 5:44 PM on Nov. 15, 2012

• Those people who believethat abortion is taking the life of an unborn child are giving more rights to the fetus than to the living, breathing human being whose existence cannot be doubted.  This is why it should not be an issue for the voters.  It should be an issue for the individual woman. 

jsbenkert

Comment by jsbenkert (original poster) at 5:49 PM on Nov. 15, 2012